By Mak10 - 10/12/2010 06:53 - United States

Today, I learned the hard way that if you tell your child that they're old enough to cook their own food in the microwave, you have to make sure they're smart enough not to put the metal spoon in with the food as well. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 297
You deserved it 36 975

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's not about how smart the kid is, it's about how dumb you are for not telling him what he should not put in the microwave. YDI.

Expecting a kid to know to not put metal in a microwave without being told is like expecting anti-obesity groups to blame parents rather than McDonalds for child obesity.

Comments

mini615 0

if they're young it's not their fault. your fault for not telling them how to use it properply

Lol..when I was about 8, I scraped what was left of the blueberry muffin batter from the bowl and put it in a small Tupperware container and it caught fire! I also tried to boil an egg in a large shot glass! Kids are crazy! It's okay OP, you'll laugh about it one day!

ulicksam 0

If you had to tell them they're old enough to do it, they obviously don't already do it. YDI for not supervising your rugrat when he heats up his first meal. Idiot.

Ydi for not monitoring your child while it was using a microwave for the first time by itself. What the hell were you thinking?

WaitWut22 1

well you should of known. Anyway is he ok.

WaitWut22 1

Sorry I put period instead of a question mark.

It's not a question of being smart. I'm guessing that OP never told her child not to. It's not exactly intuitive. YDI. If it was the first time you let them do it, you should've stayed with them to check, and explained the few basic rules.

You're such a great parent! If your kid tells you he's cold, tell him to get in the oven to warm up. But only set it to low! Imbecile.

sourgirl101 28

In all fairness, you want to teach your children to be more independent. It's easy to over look minor details. (: Example, when I was teaching my kids to do their own laundry, I warned them about the "red" clothes but not about separating the towels from the black items. I now have towel fuzz all over them. It happens to the best of parents.

Of course that's true, bit speaking in hyperbole is much funnier than not.

sourgirl101 28

Hey, you telling the kid to get onto the oven made me want to eat my gingerbread house for some reason.(: Funny how the mind works.

Hansel and Gretel, I presume? I've never eaten our gingerbread house, though my daughter can't understand why we have all this gingerbread and candy that we can't eat. :)

36, my mum has the same problem but with tissues/paper left in pockets, my brother is 20 and still occasionally forgets to take them out before washing :D

Actually on MythBusters they proved that metal in a microwave doesn't really do anything. The only thing you have to worry about is tin-foil arching to itself and burning your food, or your fork touching the walls. Even then it really doesn't do anything. so don't worry, your kid will be fine.

sourgirl101 28

I saw that episode. Great show!(:

That's true with most new microwaves, but some older ones can get ruined. I'm assuming the OP had an old microwave.

whatyotalkinbout 0

incorrect, I have witnessed a new-ish microwave basically exploding because someone put a tinfoil sweet wrapper for a dare

...then mythbusters is wrong, because i personally witnessed a microwave catch fire and nearly explode for a mere wrapper. you know, the ones made from tin foil. |the kid|

you know anyone can make that mistake if they haven't used a microwave before which is why you should have told him that.