By CancerFdMyLife - 26/09/2013 13:50 - United States - Washington

Today, I learned that an antidepressant that works too well is a stimulant. I've been jittering and twitching like a meth-head, and my co-workers are asking when Jesse will be showing up with my "stuff". FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 163
You deserved it 3 496

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Soon you'll be selling office supplies for hits, and holding coworkers up at stapler-point for more money, deadline tomorrow noon.

Comments

Trinidad727 9

Might wonna bring the dosage down a bit?

Depressants don't make you depressed... they are supposed to help you sleep and act like pain meds.

i think they meant 'better to be jittery on the med than to be depressed without them'

no... better to be a bit twitchy than depressed... wtf? yes # 26, exaxtly.

16-- not true at all. Sometimes the side effects are too much to handle. I had some depression medication that made me twitchy like op and it was horrible. I had terrible rls from it and it felt like my body was being shocked. To the person that posted below 16-- that is not even close to how the medication works. It is not supposed to be a sedative.

Actually, some people have an issue, when depressants act like stimulants and stimulants act like depressants. My mom has that same issue. Found out when she had a broken ankle and they gave her depressants to help but kept her wired for almost 24 hours. But if she has caffeine it puts her right to sleep. Talk to your doctor, see if they can help.

CallMeMcFeelii 13

Was she taking opiates? They'll put you in a "grand as all hell" mood. You're not actually tweaking like amphetamines would do, but for some people opiates just make them more productive.

dude she is just saying her medicine that she uses for depression makes her feel like she is on speed. glad you just learned the words depressant and stimulant but her antidepressant acting like a stimulant isnt relative to the word depressant in that nature.

The same thing happens to me when I take cold medicine. The night time stuff makes me jittery as all hell and the daytime stuff makes me pass right out when it takes affect.

And here I was, thinking it was unheard of that caffeine knocks me out. Glad I'm not the only one who has "reversed" effects.

Oh no, 54. It does the same thing to me too. So there's atleast three of us out there!! =) not so lonely after all...

#36 When I read this I thought she said she had been taking depressants, not anti-depressants. That is why I responded this way. After I had commented and it went past the "fixing" time. I reread and realize she put anti-depressants, but I couldn't fix my comment. No reason to act like a completely jackass because someone made a slight mistake. But I guess some people just look for any reason to insult someone on the internet because they have nothing better to do with their life.

At least you don't have "thoughts of suicide." I always thought a drug that's supposed to combat depression with a side effect like that seemed self-defeating.

That's one of the bummers. Apparently (as best as they can figure) SSRIs work not so much from the increase in seratonin levels, but from the change in the number of receptors as a result of them. This takes a couple.of weeks, so initially the depression can get worse. Thankfully, the placebo effect is quite powerful in minor depression, so just taking the pills can help in itself.

That's sometimes because medications can make a person feel different but not better (due to it not being compatible with that persons chemistry, a dose that's too low or because it takes so long to start being effective.)

You should talk to your doctor, and tell him about these reactions, maybe you can get an alternative. And I'm sorry for your inconsiderate co-workers!

Lol I learned that too. It should go away after a few days though

Wizardo 33

Where are the blue post it notes, BITCH?!

Definitely talk to your doctor about this. S/he may be able to adjust the dosage or put you on a different medication.

If this would have been posted a month ago I would have said"who the heck is Jesse". Breaking Bad is such a great show.