By quiet_screaming_ - 01/07/2015 02:21 - Canada - Vancouver

Today, I learned I don't have a yeast infection. I have herpes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 086
You deserved it 8 814

Same thing different taste

Top comments

A07 48

You need to have a chat with your partner because you don't just wake up with herpes.

A07 48

What's the difference between Love and Herpes? Herpes lasts forever.

Comments

Very possibly during her last time of intoxication. Poor decisions are made when intoxicated

jazzy_123 20

who said anything about OP being intoxicated?

xluciferx666 21

The gift that keeps on giving

I'm sorry hun. That is terrible news..

tatertot33 8

Been in that same situation? don't worry, its really not bad.

According to your profile...you're 16...and already have herpes. I hope for your sake that you're kidding.

#23 how is not that bad? herpes doesn't have a cure so she will have it forever.

my sister got it as a child after giving our mum a peck on the lips..

#59 Oral herpes and genital herpes have quite a different social stigma. OP didn't say where their symptoms were, but seeing as up to 95% of people have had oral herpes, I'm guessing the herpes they found is in their pants. Oral thrush and a cold sore look quite different, but genital thrush and genital herpes can look very similar, particularly on men.

Why does this comment have so many down votes? It's not that bad because the stigma surrounding it makes it sound so much worse than it really is. It's honestly not a big deal.

#62 Ignorance. People are sadly lacking in education these days about STD's. Very sad.

well that escalated quickly. truly am sorry

bad_boyfriend 10

Herpes is made out to be a waaay bigger deal than it is. As far as I know I don't have herpes, but if I did it would basically be a skin rash. THATS NOT A BIG DEAL. You take some valtrex and you don't have sex while you rash is present. I have a friend who has herpes, he's married, two kids and his wife has never shown any symptoms. Also, statistically something like 30% of people commenting here have herpes and don't know it.

28 is right. Do your research folks. It's annoying I'm sure but it's not a death sentence

Cold sores are a form of herpes. HSV1 to be exact and is NOT an STD. HSV2 is the STD. I would see which strain you have OP before you start worrying.

#45 Genital herpes can develop from HSV 1 as well. 40% of genital herpes is from HSV 1. Many people don't realise that you can give your significant other genital herpes if you have a cold sore or are shedding the virus and have oral sex. Although you can have an oral yeast infection, the symptoms are very different to a cold sore, so I'm guessing OP's symptoms are in their undies. That means it's an STD.

Just so you know #28 Herpes is not just a "rash". They are open sores!!!!! They are extremely painful and they don't just go away with a little Valtrex. Stress plays a major role in how often you get them and how long they stay. May want to research and maybe speak to some more friends. It does vary from person to person though and can lay dormant for quite some time before people know that they have it!! Just sayin!!

bad_boyfriend 10

I have spoken to friends. Herpes is not the same for everyone. Some people it is more severe than others. My friend, when he gets a breakout, has a bubbly rash. After years on valtrex they never get to the open sores stage. That being said, rash, sore, whatever, my point stands. No one ever died from herpes and if you are willing to be an adult it can be well controlled in the vast majority of cases. Fun Fact: until the 1970 when medications for herpes were developed, most physicians references did not even list herpes as a medical condition.

#81 Not exactly true, people have died from herpes but it's very rare. Newborns are susceptible. If Mum has an open sore when she goes info labour they should be booked for a LSCS. There is also Herpes Simplex Encephalitis. It's extremely rare, but I had a friend die from it. But in all other aspects, bad_boyfriend is right. While some people will have bad episodes, the vast majority of people lead very normal lives with only the occasion out break. People need to stop judging people with herpes.

Yep. Statistically like 30% of people have herpes. Bad thing is 90% don't know they even have it because they either never show symptoms or have little to no problem with their symptoms to worry. It's hard to cope with. Especially when given by a cheating spouse. I'm so sorry for you!

Badkarma4u 17

A lot of people get it like that.

Well it looks like safe sex is the way to go for now on...sorry OP...see a doctor maybe they can find away to get rid of it

Not to sit here and reply to a bunch of comments but there isn't a way to cure herpes. There are only ways to suppress it. Valtrex is a common drug used which just lowers the chances of symptoms and shedding periods (times that you can pass the gift along easily). But as of right now there are no cures or anything that completely takes this problem away... That's why this is becoming more of an issue than people truly believe. But, science is showing hope of maybe finding a cure in the future.

PadfootLovesPie 16

btw you can get herpes in other ways

Well of course! If you have sex with someone who has it, protected or unprotected you have the likelihood of contracting it. But you cannot contract genital herpes (hsv2) from toilet seats or junk like that... But in some rare cases people have contracted herpes in the genital region from someone who had oral herpes (hsv1). But I'm not trying to berate anyone... You are correct when you say that not everyone contracts it in the same way. I completely agree.