By Anonymous - 05/03/2016 06:58 - Israel - Tel Aviv

Today, I introduced my kind and amazing Iranian boyfriend to my mother. When he went to use the rest room, she warned me to "knock it off with this Bin Laden fetish" or she'll have me put on psychiatric hold. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 897
You deserved it 3 141

Same thing different taste

Comments

Schmavid64 13

Seeing that you're from Israel OP I guess maybe your mother grew up fearing constant attack from the Arabian neighbours your country has. Hopefully she can soften up and learn to see your boyfriend who who he is.

kivutar 6
rldostie 19

Iranians are Indo-European, not Arab. And since the 1970s, are considered white, not PoC.

Schmavid64 13

I never said that OP's boyfriend was an Arab, I said that people of Israel once lived under a very real fear of their Arab neighbours. Also Iran has leaders that publicly say that they'd like to wipe Israel off of the face of the earth. Now OP's boyfriend obviously doesn't share that view but it is one the Iranian government has and I wouldn't be surprised if that's why OP's mother has a dislike or Iranians. Hopefully with time she will learn to move beyond her dislike of him for all their sakes.

Maybe OP is Palestinian and lives in Israel... so your argument won’t stand. Either way Bin Laden had nothing to do with Iran so her mom is talking utter nonsense and is just ignorant and racist.

It's sad that this happens in 2016. I hope your mother learns to accept all people, and I hope you do what you feel is right.

I love how everyone jumps on the mother with only one side of the story. Doesn't everyone see their new relationship in the best light possible? Isn't it always the parents job to immediately disapprove because they are looking out for you? The only bigots I see are the people attacking the mother without her side of the story. Also you have no idea about OP's past. For all you know she actually does have a Bin Laden fetish.

tarlax 11

That's probably the dumbest comment I've seen all week, as well as an insanely obvious attempt at "subtly" defending someone who shares your idiotic prejudices.

kivutar 6

"For all you know she actually does have a Bin Laden fetish"... right, that's the most likely scenario here.

Damn, 13 Your comment was going well but then it turned into a disaster Infidel

hellobobismyname 24

Your mom really puts the 'mental' in 'judgmental' eh? It's obvious that she would benefit more from the psychiatric hold than you. Nay, it would be to the world's benefit really...

Given the political climate in your region, I'm not shocked. However if this is THE guy, walk away from your mom. It might hurt at first. I cut off all contact from my mom 13 years ago, when she demanded I "get rid" of my disabled son. I wish I would have done it sooner.

Political climate does not justify nationalism.

I don't think the person you were responding to disagrees.

True, I can't remember who I initially wanted to reply to.

Sulphuric_Glue 16

#51 Political climate is the major cause and justification for nationalism every time.

"Bin Laden fetish" ... reminds me of that YouTube parody video of "Call Me Maybe" by Bart Baker with President Obama ...

Maybe she should knock off with the racist fetish first.

Depending where you live... it is not that easy to just force people into a psych ward... There has to be proof. Unless where you live sucks and lets people do that to you.

rldostie 19

Ignorant people. Iranians are Indo-European, not Arabs. Don't know why people don't know or understand the difference.

I didn't know, and I actually studied international politics. We just never talked much about Iran in my classes.

rldostie 19

I think it's sad that Iran often gets glossed over in classes. It has a long, rich, fantastic history and homes wonderful, generous people. Yeah, their government sucks real bad but the average Iranian is pretty cool and much more forward thinking than their government. I'm just always surprised when people think Iranians are Arabs because it seems like common knowledge to me, but maybe it's not as common as I thought.

she's probably worried about him Allahu Akbaring in her bathroom