By greenandswirly - 18/02/2017 16:00 - United States - Columbia City

Today, I injured my knee at a Zumba class, a class I joined to lose weight so my knees wouldn't hurt so much. Now I can't even go for a leisurely walk. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 691
You deserved it 804

Same thing different taste

Top comments

alternative-facts 6

If you're really overweight, you should probably start off with something a little less strenuous than a full-on zumba class. And if your knees hurt, try something with less impact. Swimming, treadmill/elliptical, spinning (biking). And yoga. Yoga is amazing for developing strength and flexibility. Good luck to you!

Sounds like you were seriously overreaching with the Zumba classes. You should try aquacise. The buoyancy of the water will take a lot of the pressure off of your knees, it's practically zero impact and it's a very good workout.

Comments

Just keep trying OP at least you didn't get injured while walking

alternative-facts 6

If you're really overweight, you should probably start off with something a little less strenuous than a full-on zumba class. And if your knees hurt, try something with less impact. Swimming, treadmill/elliptical, spinning (biking). And yoga. Yoga is amazing for developing strength and flexibility. Good luck to you!

A very common misunderstanding about spinning ! Spinning though burns a lot of calories it totally screws up your knees even more and increases the chances of a broken knee later on ! Other things I agree though ! :)

Sounds like you were seriously overreaching with the Zumba classes. You should try aquacise. The buoyancy of the water will take a lot of the pressure off of your knees, it's practically zero impact and it's a very good workout.

JCal585 8

Yo there's a lot of twisting and turning in Zumba and that can be hard on your joints especially if they don't have the surrounding muscles built up to support those movements. Start with some basic calisthenics like squats and lunges using your body weight as resistance and then after a month or so of basic strengthening, you'd probably fare much better in Zumba and get more out of it.

You should only do Zumba to the level you can handle. Don't try to match the instructor or the experienced dancers exactly.

Good for you for starting on your way. Bad for you that you did something with such high impact when the impact from your regular daily activity was already hurting you. Don't get discouraged its a mistake many people make right off. Consult with a Dr. or a physical fitness trainer on a program for you. They can get you started off the right way and by the end you'll be doing Zumba with no problems. Good Luck

Here's hoping to a speedy recovery so you can get back to it! Good luck

cheshireau 26

Zumba is pretty intense, I think you should have started with a slower class like maybe a pilates/yoga mash up or even water aerobics.

I'm there except I don't do exercise classes I use the arc trainer and the weight room

I... listen, if your knees hurt, you really shouldn't do a class involving dancing/jumping! You should work on your eating habits, and when your knee gets better, walk and bike (after asking your doctor....)