By pierced - 01/05/2016 17:56 - United States - Marble Falls

Today, I have an infected piercing because I'm allergic to the metal. My ear is so swollen that I can't remove the jewelry. It won't get better until I'm able to remove the jewelry. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 806
You deserved it 1 748

Same thing different taste

Comments

Tea Tree Oil. It will take the swelling down enough you can get the earring out. And it will work pretty quickly. I'm allergic to nickel and gold, super fun allergies, and have had this happen a few times with jewelry that claims to be "hypoallergenic." I have a spot on my neck from a necklace I just wore. It sucks. I wear sterling silver earrings now, to avoid having any issues.

Google Association of Professional Piercers and use their site to find an APP approved piercer near you. They can get you properly fitted with high quality titanium studs/hoops/barbells. Do not take the piercing out (this is what your doctor will tell you to do) because without the jewelry inside, the skin will have no exit point for the infection and trap it inside. Just go to a piercer asap and get better quality jewelry put in. I have about 15 piercings and if I ever have a problem with them I go to my piercer before my doctor as they usually have a better answer than "just take it out."

I agree with this! I had approx. 15 piercings as well during my teenage years and after I got each one done, I got a leaflet from the place stating this information. 90% of my piercings got infected, not because I'm unhygienic (far from it), or that I didn't look after them properly, it was because my body usually reacted badly for the first 2 weeks to a change/foreign object in my ears/nose/lip (I could have been allergic, but I doubt it). I always stuck it out and it would always heal eventually. I would recommend either going back to the piercer or try cleaning it 3 times a day with surgical spirits and drying it afterwards with a cotton swab and apply ice where possible. Once the "nasty" swelling has gone down, use saltwater/seasalt instead until it's better (and clean your piercing's openings with saltwater/babywipe at least once a week, even after it's healed)...Good luck OP!

I think you're missing the point though. You know, where it says that the OPs ear is so swollen that the jewelry CANNOT be removed.

so sorry, I was like that and thought I could only wear gold earrings because of that. Then I found out nickel free works on me too so don't give up

Time to go Picasso on that piercing! Be glad it's not in your tongue though.

There is a difference between an allergic reaction and an infection! If it's infected, it will be leaking gross green or yellow pus. If that is the case, you need to see a doctor and you CANNOT remove the jewelry until the infection is gone, or you will only trap the infection under your skin and risk getting it in your blood stream. In most cases, it is only irritated, like in the case of an allergic reaction to the metal. Make a solution of warm (not hot) water and sea salt and soak the piercing for a couple minutes, this will help with the swelling and irritation. Then go back to your piercer and they can help with a jewelry change or removal, they have plenty of experience with this type of thing. I always have to have titanium jewelry when a piercing is new, my body doesn't tolerate stainless steel until the piercing is healed. Do NOT use alcohol, antibiotic ointment, etc. The former will just dry out your skin and the latter will just create a breeding ground for bacteria, neither of which is helpful. Good luck!

This is how seven-year-old me found out about my severe nickel allergy. I got my ears pierced for the first time and six months later they still hadn't healed. I eventually managed to get some gold studs into them so they could finish healing, but I've been careful about what I put in my ears since then. Best of luck OP!

Could've been worse. My ex had an allergic reaction to her piercings..... Her nipple piercings.