By mekiswrite - 30/06/2016 19:15 - Canada

Today, I have a job but can't be hired due to technical issues. This means that I'm technically not getting paid yet for the work I do. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 803
You deserved it 840

mekiswrite tells us more.

Hey guys! So, the place that I'm working at JUST switched to a new system - which nobody knows how to use. A while ago, my boss sat down with me to try to get me set up in the system. One problem that I had was that, using my phone, it was telling me my username and password were wrong. So, my boss told me to sign in as a "New Candidate". When I did, it didn't register me as having applied for any jobs. Last night, I tried logging in with my computer with the original username I had used to create a profile on the site. All fixed now, so I'm signed up for Direct Deposit and should be getting my employee number in a day or so. Which means that I can clock in and out and they can keep track of the hours I work. Which also means I'll be getting paid for the work I do!

Top comments

Can you not work until they're paying you or just get reimbursed later?

tinytyler 12

You should seriously talk to someone about how this can get fixed. You shouldn't be working for free. Talk about possibly being reimbursed for the work you're doing.

Comments

I had that, I just got paid for all of it with my first paycheck. Keep track of which days/hours you work though.

Same thing has happened to me twice. When I get a contract job, sometimes the paperwork doesn't go through right away. This year I worked for a month before I saw any money. Last year was nearly month as well. They gave me retro pay though. It sucks at first but once everything gets sorted you'll see the money. in the meantime I hope you have something saved to help out while you wait.

My grandad would probably say, "well you need a job son, get you off your ass. Money or not it's good for ya" Then puff on his pipe and drift off most likely.

PANDORUM89 21

the good thing is that you are going to get a fat check when the technicalities are fixed. Employers are required by law to pay you for all services rendered. So it sucks that you aren't getting a check now but that check that is coming will be big af.

Hey guys! So, the place that I'm working at JUST switched to a new system - which nobody knows how to use. A while ago, my boss sat down with me to try to get me set up in the system. One problem that I had was that, using my phone, it was telling me my username and password were wrong. So, my boss told me to sign in as a "New Candidate". When I did, it didn't register me as having applied for any jobs. Last night, I tried logging in with my computer with the original username I had used to create a profile on the site. All fixed now, so I'm signed up for Direct Deposit and should be getting my employee number in a day or so. Which means that I can clock in and out and they can keep track of the hours I work. Which also means I'll be getting paid for the work I do!

That sounds like a big mess. It's good you got it figured out.

You are getting paid for the hours you didn't clock in for though, right...?

#19 I should hope so, I've worked with a similar system before (albeit an ancient one) and data can be added retroactively. But it might not be possible if the employee's creation date is today instead of the day he actually started work... Either way, legally they have to give him his due pay, and no technical issues have any effect on that.

I would hope so too and understand it's illegal but I've heard of this happening and employers being assholes about it (even though they can enter hours in manually). Really much easier if they just pay instead of getting lawyers involved. The only reason I asked is I didn't see anything about getting back paid in the OP's follow up.

Do you work for save a lot? I had the same issue

This FML doesn't make any sense. You have a job but haven't been hired? If you haven't been hired yet, you haven't done any work to be paid for. And if fmylife.com has their information correct, working in Canada means that would be illegal anyway.

I'm a payroll manager in Alberta and depending on the software used, as well as staff competency, it's a common problem. Your employer wouldn't 'not pay' you. I'm also assuming you don't get paid daily so they have the full pay period to correct it. Technology is wonderful when it works properly. ? And when people know how to use it.

ummm mmm unless it will he transposed onto the paycheck then that's lille lillegal... threaten to call the BBB