By Celina - 12/01/2009 09:55 - United States

Today, I have -$700 in my current account, $500 from overdraft fees because I spent money they told me I had. I don't get paid till the 15th and when I cash in my paycheck all of it will go to bringing me even. So the $9 I found in my wallet this morning will have to last me untill the 30th. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 774
You deserved it 5 366

Same thing different taste

Top comments

serially 0

that's why you're supposed to keep track of your transactions and balance on your own... it's called being an adult.

toli_fml 0

that's due in part to the bank's "automatic overdraft" protection, which essentially is taking out a line of credit with ridiculous interest from the said bank. Have them turn this off, so that way when you go to buy a $7 sandwich, and you only have $5 in your account, it won't work. Better to be embarrassed there than pay $25 + interest later. They bank will try and talk you out of it, and may even act like they can't do it, but demand them to turn it off. You'll be better off in the long run, spending only the money you have.

Comments

hmmm dont get paid till the 15th eh...sounds familiar. usaa isn't an option for everyone btw.

I agree with # 3 if they told you you had the $ it's their fault

That's why people use comerica... DUH!

Even if they told you that you had the money, no responsible adult would spend the money in their account so that their balance was close to $0. You should always budget wisely and have backup money. YDI, even if the bank screwed up (I also clicked FML, because it sucks). I would suggest getting another job temporarily and leaving within your means. Maybe hold a garage sale of valuable things you don't use anymore.

kittengrl39 0

I HATE that. It's happened to me too - not the negative, but spending more money than you had because they told you it was there. Now I'm paranoid about how much money I have in my account and what I do spend never adds up. I KNOW I've spent more money than that, but they keep telling me it's still there. Now I don't know what I can buy and what I can't in case it bites me in the ass later.

Before I even finished reading this I said, bet this person has bank of America. Bank of America is the worst bank to have, they trap you into a cycle of fees designed to make them rich, and you not so much. I had an account with them once, it ended badly. As a responsible adult I had a separate account from which my foreign currency bills would be drawn, and no other transactions would be done. I get paid on the 14th and 29th, a set amount is then auto deposited into the account and the bills are automatically paid. This worked fine until I fell victim to the Bank of America "funds availability" scam. Basically I got paid on Thurs at 6 am, Monday was a holiday so the money disappeared for about 5 1/2 days (somewhere in limbo between my primary and Sterling account) until Tuesday night approx 4:30pm. Lucky for Bank of America my bills tried to post early that morning, thus trapping my account in a downward spiral of overdraft fees and returned item fees. Hurray for Bank of America!

Contact the bank or get an advance from your employer. I say ydi for being an idiot if you don't try either of those.

ban4023 0

it happnes to me alot f overdraft fees nd banks lets riot

feel like becoming anorexic?... well, it seems u won't have a choice