By out of the closet - 26/04/2016 00:22 - Australia - Wollongong

Today, I had to tell the third guy that my mother set me up with that it wasn't him, it's me. Apparently my mother thinks if she sets me up with enough guys, I will "date the gay out". FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 850
You deserved it 1 535

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You need to tell her to her face that she needs to stop. It's completely disrespectful to not only you but also to the people she is setting you up with. She won't change until you confront her.

I'm sorry your mother can't accept you for who you are, I have the same problem. :(

Comments

One day your mother realizes OP. Stay strong.

Homophobic bitch. Sorry about that. I hope she will soon get it through her thick skull that being gay is not bad... and that having your parents set you up with someone is never a good idea.

I am so sorry your mom can't accept you and thinks she can change who you are. I hope things get better op.

Maybe if you give your mother enough books she will read some common sense in.

TWayne95 13

I thought the Australians were one of the most accepting nations of sexual orientation

#27 We are. The vast majority of Aussies support marriage equality, too, even if our government is dragging its feet. But there will always be some stuck in old prejudices. Hopefully OP's mum will be one of the many parents who can't accept their child's sexual orientation at first, but then become super supportive once they do.

Well it could be worse, she's probably just having a hard time accepting it. Talk to her about it just don't be too harsh this is one of the tamer responses that I've seen.

Would you look at someone who got kicked out and say "it couldve been worse"? This is still very disrespect and extremely hurtful for op. Op has every right to feel upset and angry, whether it could be worse or not.

Thank you. "It could be worse" is such a shitty, uncaring thing to say to anyone.

@32 I didn't say they didn't have the right to be upset, I'd suggest reading my comment before you assume and then put words in my mouth, what I said was cautioning op to not take it too badly. They can feel upset and angry should they chose. @39 fun fact but maybe you should read my comment again, I said that because it could be MUCH worse that they should atleast cut their mother some slack. I'm sorry that I try to understand every side of the story rather than one.

The only story we need to know is the mother continuously has tried to "force the gay out" of op. It's acceptable to need time to process this, trying to change their sexuality(which you can't) isn't, especially continuously. You literally tell op not to be harsh and try to make them feel like their anger or hurt is wrong because "it could be worse". That's really how it seems, whether you mean it to or not. They really SHOULDNT cut her some slack. At this point, it doesn't seem like it'll change. You think at this point they haven't tried to talk to her? Maybe giving her an ultimatum will make her see op is who she is. Maybe cutting her out of her life will. Maybe nothing will. Op shouldn't have to put up with this. It can really hurt and tear a person apart trying to continuously deal with something like this. It's passive, sure, but it's still aggression towards her. Op needs to do what's best for her. That's not "taking into account" anything. Not how other people have it or anything.

Why would you agree that forcing a lesbian to date a man will somehow magically turn her "straight?" There is no such thing as changing a person's sexuality. I have been the victim of many such attempts by my own mother, and none of those worked either.

TMO2142 25

Ok i have to ask. Does she mean sexuality out or happyness?

I would have loved to be 1 of your dates. not because i want the gay out of you, but to listen to your story <3