By Wubba87 - 27/06/2012 10:32 - United Kingdom - Liverpool

Today, I had to have a long and awkward meeting with my boss. It wouldn't have been too awkward though, if I didn't have to avoid staring at her exposed breast whilst she fed her 8 week old baby. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 647
You deserved it 5 198

Wubba87 tells us more.

Wow, didn't realise this would get so much attention so quickly. Thanks guys! Not suprised that this has stirred a debate on breast feeding as a whole though... To clarify, my boss has recently had a child (duh!) and has therefore been on maternity leave. This is the first time she's come back to work. I actually work in a research lab, and so my boss gathered myself and a few of my coworkers (a doctor and a PhD student) together in an office to discuss the progress of our research since she's been absent. I didn't mind having the meeting, I didn't mind that the kid was there too, and I definitley didn't mind her having to feed the child (nor do I ever mind when any woman has to do this, but especially in this case because she asked us all if it was OK to feed her before doing anything). But I have never had to work so hard on maintaining eye contact in my life! Awkward!

Comments

That is very awkward. And shouldn't she be on mat leave if her baby is only 8 weeks old?

Redox127 7

Some fathers take a longer paternity leave while the mothers quickly recover and head back to work.

Really? Where do you live? (er... Please don't take that as snarky, I am honestly wondering)

Redox127 7

Assuming you are directing that to me, I live in Canada as my profile states. To verify that point I know a doctor who took less than two months maternity leave to avoid losing time in her residency while her husband took several months paternity leave for their newborn.

Redox127 7

Assuming that was directed towards me, I live in Canada, as my profile states. And to verify that point I know a doctor who took less than two months maternity leave to avoid losing time on her residency while her husband took several months paternity leave for their newborn.

tatsmcgrath 4

She probably felt more comfortable about it. Maybe she should put a blanket over to cover her breast.

If you find breasts a turn on while a baby is breast feeding, you need to grow up a lot.

I'm very sorry for that stupid comment.

We all post a stupid one now and then, all you can do is move on, and try not to do it again.

Did she give you a raise (wink wink nudge nudge)?

How do people find a breast feeding to be a turn on? The baby should stop anyone from being turned in by the mom, at that time.

I'm assuming they aren't turned on by the breast feeding more so the fact that they instantly imagine boobs, boobs without a baby attached to them

karatekid97 17

Well good job for doing the right thing and not looking! That's very gross of her to do that in a professional place like that!

iknotme88 6

There is nothing gross about breast feeding it is 100% natural and very important to the child's growth and development

robinhood007 9

And it's also very important to be professional in the work place. She could have postponed meeting or something.

You know what else is natural? ********. But you don't just pop a squat right there during a meeting and let one fly. I'm all for breast feeding, but only in certain places.

I don't think that 16 meant it as breastfeeding itself is gross.

Some, and perhaps karate kid was born in 97, are not be mature enough to handle a baby at breast, or realize how natural it is.

What's the birth year have to do with anything?

Do you really think it was awkward or were you getting off to it in some sick way

That would be a very awkward thing. For me especially too. I hate that stuff. It's just awkward. And if a mother was breast feeding in public most people wouldn't say anything to you. That not what most people do.

Tell her to do that shit when she's alone. Tell her, 'No one wants to see your baby sucking your knockers, mmkay boss?'

And when OP gets instantly canned, will you be the one to send him a weekly support check to support his unemployed status? While I don‘t support the boss‘s actions myself, here‘s a bit of top-notch advice: think things through a bit before you say any shit, mm-kay?

I'm my own boss. So I wouldn't know how to handle myself. As for jobs when I was younger I never got along with boss's so I made my own business. Voila! Problem solved.

And you sound like an assuming jackass. Mr. Asshole says go **** yourself.

I'd rather be a successful asshole than a nice loser.

I hope the baby was also dressed for the occasion. A tux was it?

PixeeLi42 10

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It has to make a man uncomfortable in this particular situation.

the point is not that she is breastfeeding, that's perfectly normal. the point is that she's doing it in front of an employee, being a boss, during a meeting. she should just keep it to herself and do it at home or somewhere not near the people that work for her.

I seriously hope you are being very sarcastic.

PixeeLi42 10

Of COURSE she should keep it to herself, it's absolutely disgusting to do anything OTHER than hide your breasts when it's not for sexual satisfaction. It just confuses people too much!

lovebeecharmer 6
PixeeLi42 10

Isn't it depressing that it's even plausible I'm not trolling?

Alliente 9

That is so unprofessional. Where do you work? A daycare ?

mariah_victoria 0
robinhood007 9

97 - I'm assuming she wasn't, considering she's right.