By Talvesh - 15/12/2009 11:42 - United States

Today, I had my six month employee review. My manager said that my attendance was good, and I was exceeding my targets performance wise. My reward, a five cent per hour pay cut. Apparently the rate at which I started is too high to meet their current pay scale. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 034
You deserved it 2 155

Same thing different taste

Top comments

congratulations! you stumbled upon the concept of relativity! where EVERYTHING IS RELATIVE!! yeah a lot of people dont have jobs. but you dont see people NOT complaining about their lives because people in Darfur are losing their families every day, do you? you are on your computer and you have food to eat right? yeah a lot of people in africa dont have any of these things. but we still complain and we still create FML websites. because thats life.

I posted this earlier, so if it shows up again, I'm sorry, but Such is life right now. I started working for my current job about 2 months after the guy I carpool with. In between the time he got his 2nd raise and I was due for mine, salaries were frozen for over a year. When they were unfrozen, he got his 3rd raise at the same time I got my 2nd. It's not worth losing sleep over with how many people are out of work right now.

Comments

slack off to that standard then. at least you were complimented, get over it at the moment

gecko13 0

Hang in there something good could come out of it. if you keep a good attitude... it's not much money anyways....

ombrelle 0

As somebody in HR they are not allowed to take away your pay because they screwed up in the first place. As long as you signed a contract saying what you were to be paid then that's what it's supposed to be... No wonder you're from the US you people don't know anything...

crash0720 0

Wow! Thank you for being a stereotypical asshole!!

@16: If you're not from the US, how do you know your country's salary laws apply here?

ombrelle 0

because I studied international HR so I know international laws... and like I said, if you sign a contract they can't take the money away from you like that because they screwed up their pay scale... and also, when you have a review if one is exceeding in the review you don't take a pay cut. It's usually in the company's policies that a meeting expectations or exceeding expectations rating gets an increase but a below or needs improvement rating has their salary stay the same. It's illegal to take away someone's hourly rate.

Okie7123 0

If he's working at a company that gives you cuts and raises by 5 cents, maybe it's time to find a better job and stop bitching about losing a dollar every 20 hours. Seems like a kind of pointless FML.

gecko13 0

hmmmm... not worth getting fiered over!

Quit your bitchin' asshole, there's so many people who deserve/ desperatly need a job, and your taking pity on your 5 cent Pay cut? stop pitying yourself and grow up.

Yes! Think about the poor kids in Africa! Or in the sweatshops in Asia. WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Can they just do that? Where I'm from they can't, but hey, that's a whole different continent... That sucks!

Many states in the US are "employment at will" states. This means that employees can leave a job for any reason and an employer can pay any salary the employer deems and can fire at will. With the exception of executive level positions, most employees in this country do not have employment contracts. Ergo, pay can be cut or an employee can be fired whether or not the employee is meeting performance expectations.

Yeah, I work in an "at will state" as a general manager of a restaurant and I can assure you that it is not legal to lower an employee's pay for any reason, unless they are demoted, and even then it must be a clear demotion. For example if I were to move a server to a dishwasher, I could not lower their pay. However, if I were moved to a server, I could have my pay cut. When you agree to work for a company, you and the company agree on the salary you are to be paid. That can either be the same, or raised. And especially if you had a top notch review, there is no legal ground for them to lower you pay, even in an "at will state". They can fire you for no reason, but cannot cut your pay if you are not demoted. Doesn't matter the job or industry.