By Anonymous - 15/05/2016 14:03 - United States - Salem

Today, I had my first real break from work in ages, so I decided to go hiking. Less than 20 minutes in, I tumbled a couple hundred feet down a steep hill, broke my leg and several toes, and lay there in agony for an eternity before I was finally rescued. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 882
You deserved it 1 954

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ouch sorry OP, hope you heal up nice and quick. Nothing but a FYL would suffice here.

dietcoke09 25

Oh no! I have to give you credit for wanting to go on a hike on your free day. Hopefully when you get better you can try again with walking sticks to help support you.

Comments

Ouch sorry OP, hope you heal up nice and quick. Nothing but a FYL would suffice here.

Hiking on your own in dangerous terrain without a phone? YDI

How do you know they didn't have a phone? Perhaps they had no signal or broke it in the fall.

tarlax 11

Or they had both a phone and signal, but still had to wait for the emergency services to actually arrive.

I have a similar story except it was my friend who fell. We had phones that worked, but we were in thick jungle and it took an hour and a half for the chopper to find us. You've jumped to too many conclusions without asking questions.

None of the hiking trails in our area have phone signals unless you're "hiking" on the groomed or paved trails that run right along the main roads of town. If we want to hike or trail ride in the prettier areas, cell phone service is not something to be counted on. In our little cluster of houses, we all let each other know when we're going trail riding with the horses or hiking or taking the boats out (we live on a bluff above the water) so we all know who is doing something that might be dangerous so we can act appropriately if someone doesn't come home.

BlockOfRedStone 25

I still don't understand why some FML's change "You deserved it" to "Phew, glad it wasn't me". In this scenario, I would choose that their life sucks, but also be glad that I wasn't the one that fell down a cliff, and therefore also choose the second option. If someone's life sucks, then you'll naturally be glad whatever happened to them did NOT happen to you, which practically makes the second option completely pointless.

cheesecake12 12

hopefully you'll have an easy recovery, hope you feel better soon!!

dietcoke09 25

Oh no! I have to give you credit for wanting to go on a hike on your free day. Hopefully when you get better you can try again with walking sticks to help support you.

Man, that's rough. At least you're not Aron Ralston, though!

This is why you should never go hiking alone and always make sure several people know where you are and when you should be back. Tell them if they don't hear from you by this time send search and rescue.

okamiyazaki 8

Yes, you should always tell someone where you are and when you plan to be back... But to say 'you should never go hiking alone' is silly. Hiking alone is incredibly therapeutic and so peaceful compared to hiking with others. It can help one stay sane.

ALWAYS hike with a buddy, no matter how short or how long of a trip it is. Other than that, I feel sorry for you OP. I can't tell you how many times I almost did the same thing.

I was hiking with a friend two weeks ago on Oahu. She fell 40 feet, landed on her head. Broke her neck, her back, her clavicle, her orbit, her wrist and a bunch of ribs. We had to be airlifted out. She survived and is already walking again. When I jumped after her I thought I was going to find her dead. It's a miracle she's alive, let alone walking. My point is this: this experience made me realize how blessed we are. Maybe FYL, but in all fairness you're also fortunate. Hope you mend quickly.