By Truffle - 12/11/2017 17:22 - United States - Waldorf

Today, I got an almost $200 vet bill because my mom's cat tried to eat a cactus. This same cat chewed through a wall only a week prior. I have no idea what this crazy thing will do next. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 101
You deserved it 445

taintedtruffle tells us more.

He has plenty of cat toys and two siblings so I doubt he is bored. And no his name is Bananas because he's so crazy. I will encourage her to play with him more- he loves the wand toys . Thanks for the suggestions.

Top comments

Sounds like lack of activity combined with separation anxiety- animals don't have many ways to channel the resulting energy, and unfortunately the ways they do have tend to be harmful to either them or their environment. Try dedicating a chunk of time in the morning and afternoon to play time. Twenty to thirty minutes each should cut down the craziness.

exileonmainst 16

Try to catch Jerry with an overly complicated plan?

Comments

Is you cat named "LA Beast" by any chance?

exileonmainst 16

Try to catch Jerry with an overly complicated plan?

Your cat "tried to eat a cactus?" If he had to go to the vet, I'd say he succeeded!

Sounds like lack of activity combined with separation anxiety- animals don't have many ways to channel the resulting energy, and unfortunately the ways they do have tend to be harmful to either them or their environment. Try dedicating a chunk of time in the morning and afternoon to play time. Twenty to thirty minutes each should cut down the craziness.

boopingsnoot 24

Sounds like somekitty needs a few cardboard boxes and some catnip mice. Maybe a bird feeder outside a good window.

He has plenty of cat toys and two siblings so I doubt he is bored. And no his name is Bananas because he's so crazy. I will encourage her to play with him more- he loves the wand toys . Thanks for the suggestions.

Ah, I didn't mean boredom, exactly. Cats- and dogs, too- can have too much physical energy, which causes them emotional stress and has been considered to actually cause pain in more extreme cases. So it might not be mental stimulation that he's lacking (and actually, having mental stimulation available for animals with high energy can actually make it worse since it can wind them up) as a physical outlet. If having the free time to actually play with him is a problem, there are also things like cat wheels (think of a hamster wheel, but much bigger and for cats) or even just one of those weird motor powered balls with a tail attached. If the behavior does keep happening (which, it sounds like it's a recurring problem even without stressors) you can try melatonin or Benadryl. I suggest at least discussing it with a vet, but if that isn't feasible, I suggest at least reading up on them. Melatonin's suggested starting dose is .75 mg, but I would suggest starting even lower, at .5 mg- and since melatonin is a supplement and this ingredients in the tablets can vary wildly, I really want to emphasize checking the ingredient lists to make sure there aren't any ingredients harmful to cats in it. With Benadryl, the dose given by vets is usually 1 mg/lb. So if you want to try that route, the best bet is the 12.5 mg tablets since you can break them in half for smaller cats, or give more for bigger cats. Both of those are methods suggested by vets- we use them with our rescue dog who has badly abused and has some major separation anxiety. I strongly suggest trying either having him wear a baby's onesie, or looking up how to use sport wrap bands to give to provide compression to see of it make him calmer. If either one does work, you may want to look into- or have your mom look into- getting him a ThunderShirt. It's a compressing jacket, similar to swaddling in how and why it works. Good luck with Banana! Hopefully my advice is new and helpful.

Lobby_Bee 17

Are you sure this is a cat and not a giant rat? I have never heard of cats chew through a wall before.

staticballoons 5

If it's your mom's cat, why do you get the $200 bill? Let her deal with it.

Well... the cat only has 7 more chances left. Pray it calms down before then.