By Kaei - 21/08/2015 20:09 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I had a box full of crickets in my room. I sealed it up with tape and went to take a shower. When I returned, I found that the box had popped open, releasing almost all of the crickets. I can still hear the chirping. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 047
You deserved it 8 028

Kaei tells us more.

Kaei 21

thank you omg someone who puts 1 and 2 together

Top comments

dannidoll93 24

All you people wondering why OP is "collecting" crickets... Seriously? I feel like it isn't that hard to figure out that he owns a reptile.

As a reptile owner myself, I know the pain of lost crickets. I would recommend you place a bunch of glueboards to catch as many as possible.

Comments

1. How did they get out ? 2. Dam that blows.

That sounds like a pretty cool dam. What's its name?

Mmm, a dam that blows sounds like a pretty bad dam to me. I would t want to live downstream of it.

Why were you collecting them in the first place? And sealing the box with tape would have killed them so I like to think that they're getting revenge on you now :3 Good luck OP hope you get some sleep

countryb_cth 38

They were going to feed the crickets to their pet reptile. So I don't think it matters if they died in the box.

yes it does matter because the dead crickets can grow bacteria and poison your animal..... :) they are trying to sing op to sleep

They will eventually die off, since the life span of a field cricket is like 3 months. But if you live in the city than the cricketing might get annoying. I live in the suburbs and hear crickets all the time.

I keep wondering why you have a box full of crickets in your room.

Hunkapoo 19

reptiles like lizards eat them.

dakotaabriannee 14

I would probably go crazy. That sucks, OP.

dannidoll93 24

All you people wondering why OP is "collecting" crickets... Seriously? I feel like it isn't that hard to figure out that he owns a reptile.

Kaei 21

thank you omg someone who puts 1 and 2 together

Thank you, #52, for pointing out a yet-unchallenged fact. We are all wiser now, and we owe it all to you. Thank you.

"a yet-unchallenged fact" "I feel like it isn't that hard to figure out that he owns a reptile." Are you sure it's an unchallenged fact?

Yep. Pretty sure it's been unchallenged so far.

op even has a picture of a lizard on her profile lol

nesteremily 31

All I can say is be glad you don't have nice for your snakes. That's ever worse

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a time traveler on our hands.

Oh man, I didn't even realize until now! OP, tell us your secret!

We owned 6 lizards at on point and decided to breed our own crickets. We bought 100 crickets and a 5 Gal paint pail with a secure lid. This helps keep escapees down. When we have less lizards, we use a cricket keeper. Sorry OP but ydi for using a cardboard box and tape.

Jumping to judgement are we? Many petstores and almost all online sevices give you boxes. Maybe she just hadn't transferred them to a keeper yet? "Just went to take a shower" doesn't sound like it was a permanant solution to me...

Why was it so important to take a shower before she moved the crickets into a secure place? A tapped up cardboard box is not a secure solution for these escape artists. As well, I'm not sure where you're shopping, but in my many any years of owning animals that feed off crickets, I have never received crickets in a cardboard box. Always they have come in an air filled bag, or a securely sealed plastic tub.

In a lot of places, they give you cardboard boxes. The petshop in my town gives you cardboard boxes. How many different petshops do you go to that would make you think that every petshop gives you crickets in bags or plastic tubs?

quite a few places use boxes and tape... plus they get shipped in taped boxes. so maybe you should do some research before being condescending. op very well could have just received a shipment of crickets. speaking as someone who bred reptiles and at one point owned 40 some odd lizards at a time, I have seen quite a few crickets. and they come in all sorts of packages. I prefer dubia roaches though. much much cleaner then the roaches we have in America... they have no smell, they aren't filthy, they can't climb, jump, or fly... they fail at life basically

MzZombicidal 36

I never knew someone could be so judgemental over bugs and a box.

I'm judgemental because I believe OP deserves it because she did not secure her crickets and they escaped? :/ you people take this way to seriously. Isn't the point of this site to either agree that the OP deserves it or doesn't? I have said nothing rude, or mean. Only that I believe OP should have secured the crickets better. And I have been to many pet stores, breeders, have ordered online, and have delivered cricket orders to a pet store. Maybe this is just a provincial thing where I am?

We're taking it too seriously? I think it's the opposite. Poor girl just wanted to take a quick shower so she used a temporary not so strong seal.

Actually, it is cheaper to buy them in bulk online and they come in a sealed cardboard box. Considering that they manage to ship them in such a package, the OP was not out of line in thinking that they would be contained for a while.

Yes, you are taking this too seriously. You're the ones freaking out because I have an opinion that contradicts yours. As I said, I said nothing rude or mean. Just my opinion. I guess I'm sorry for having one?? :/