By Anonymous - 01/11/2016 14:47

Today, I had a 10-hour shift that started at 5 a.m. We can't leave until relief comes and we don't get paid for overtime if our relief is late. The good news is my relief came early. The bad news is he went on a smoke break and never came back. They want me to stay until we close and I'm the only cashier. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 849
You deserved it 770

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You must work for Walmart they tried that with me and I said "overtime or I'm leaving" they can't force you to work a second shift.

Comments

melana09 19

In our state you can only work for 16 hours. Your shift was only 10 hours they should accept a few hours over if you chose to stay. If it's over time they have to pay over time. I'd fight it because it's illegal not to get that pay.

downlowjigelow02 11

federal law states overtime is more than 8 hours in a day or 40 hours in a week double time is more than 12 hours in a day btw every employee must keep a copy of wage and labor laws clearly and visibly posted in employee areas so you can sure and get all that money back from your hire date to current and they will be fined by the state and forced to comply with the wage laws

Every state is different and Federal DOL states that as well. you abide by the states laws as to how OT is reached and paid for. Even on salary, the only way overtime is paid out is if the person is paid under $47,741 or if they continually work 5+ hours over 45 hrs a week. I highly doubt OP is salary, seeing as how they are a cashier. It is illegal to not pay the employee for hours worked though. FDOL is primarily used to enforce a lot of government jobs that don't want to pay their employees proper but in a lot of cases will tell you to refer to your states laws in regards to minimum wage, pay, and OT classifications.

downlowjigelow02 11

correction meant to say most states laws is more than 8 in a day and federal is 40 in a week

Mooglefox 23

You work at Walmart, don't you?

Former Wal-Mart "associate" here. Wal-Mart follows the law to a tee in the US, including being generous with FMLA and ADA requirements. They don't want the bad publicity they were getting ten years ago with all the exposé documentaries. They also keep all their entry level employees below 30 hours to avoid paying benefits (which happens when you work 32+ hours a week for two pay periods) and most shifts are 4-6 hours, max being 8. A common employee complaint was not getting enough hours. They rarely lay people off and instead cut hours of existing employees. Breaks are mandatory. Don't be a sheeple and believe the big bad media hoaxes concerning Wal-Mart. (None of this applies to their business practices overseas)

In the US, there's only so many hours you're allowed to work in a row without breaks. I think it's 15 minutes for each 4 hours.

mariri9206 32

In the US, they are required to give you your first break four hours after you started your shift.

It depends on the job. A normal job is 2x 10 minute breaks and at least a half hour lunch if 8 hours. Some jobs (like EMT's) do not have breaks or lunche at all.

Some states are not required to give you a lunch break. Most states are only required to give you a 15 minute break after x number of hours worked in a day.

It is unlawful to not pay overtime for time worked past 40 hours, in most states you have to get ot after working a 9-10hr shift.

Slavery was abolished in this country. Go find a better job.

I feel your pain op.. Isn't there any law or agency to help you in such situations? My manager did something similar to me once and the next time he tried I told him I almost gave away a guy $400 mistaking 100s for 10s cuz I was almost asleep workng. Didn't get asked to work double shifts since. My weekly pay wouldn't cover such a mistake..

I read this assuming you couldn't leave until the next shift arrived for some important reason, like you were caring for vulnerable adults or a nurse in an understaffed facility that couldn't call for backup or a small daycare, but no...They do crap like this to cashiers?! They don't pay enough for you to work over 10 hours, especially for a job where that's not necessary.