By Anonymous - 15/10/2015 20:44 - United Kingdom - Hampton Hill

Today, I got turned down by my dream job because their rival company happens to be called my exact name. I'm now known as "The Spy". FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 074
You deserved it 1 516

Same thing different taste

Top comments

olpally 32

That's a pretty cool new name you have though... Side note: dick move by the company to not hire you for that reason. Stupid.

christinamarie17 29

Comments

mermaidkeels 26

Apply at the rival company! Maybe they'll think that you are related to the founder and get hired right away!

Go work for the rival company. You can be their spokesperson and public image.

so your name is anonymous? are you the trying to work for the illuminati?

lexiieeex3 32

But you're known as "the Spy" to a bunch of strangers, right? It sucks you didn't get the job for such a stupid reason but what's so bad about the nickname if you're never going to see them again? They're just being assholes.

I figured it was their friends calling them 'The Spy' when they heard what happened. It is a bit confusing though.

That would be the worst name choice ever for an actual industrial spy.. I mean, spies are supposed to NOT attract attention.

You obviously werent a good fit for them & they fed you a bullshit line about your name and their 'rival company'.They should have been honest with you-and yes Ive had interviews where I didnt get the job and they told me.Im sure they dont call you 'The Spy', overactive imagination much? smfh

Then sign up for a job at their rival company. I'd suggest the front desk

So, mister McDonald, what do you think will be your next career move?

That is surely illegal - they cannot turn you down because of your name and it was rankly idiotic of them to tell you the reason because now you can file a complaint/appeal. They don't have a leg to stand on. They can no more turn you down due to your name than your race.

#22, I don't know about the UK, but in the U.S. they can choose not to hire you for almost any reason, as long as it isn't specifically legally protected (race, gender, age, reasonable disability, in some jurisdictions sexual orientation, union membership or lack of union membership, etc), and I doubt there has ever been a legal push to specifically disallow them from not liking your name. As I said, the U.K. is different, but I cannot see the public outcry to ban this from employment decisions.