By Cass - 29/03/2012 02:03 - Australia

Today, I got the feeling that my phone smelt of cigarettes and B.O. I smelt it, realised that it was my hands that smelt, then got confused and thought maybe it was my nose piercing that smelt. I then realised my psychology class was watching me trying to smell my own nose. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 810
You deserved it 28 746

Same thing different taste

Top comments

stormer461 13

I don't get how smelling your own nose can be noticeable. All you have to do is breathe.

Comments

K_kanaka 26
nofearjenshere 12
perdix 29

They might send you to your family reunion!

Sometimes a cigarette is just a cigarette.

The true question is, Is the nose really there? And if there was no nose to smell the stench would it actually smell?

Sorry, make the nose lie down on the couch and ask it how it's feeling after being subjected to such an odor numerous times?

bizarre_ftw 21

Your psychology class, or the psychology class you're appearing in as a live specimen?

rainbowbigbird 7

Because phones are notorious for their body odor...?

dabomb1463 0

That would look creepy it might look like your doing drugs

Smelled. Smelt doesn't mean what you think it means. Or maybe I should just invest in a damn dictionary.

dbt88 15

It does in Australian English.

Oh god, yet another child giving the US a bad, ignorant name.

Daddymo 14

Smelt is what you do to metal to turn it to liquid, although you can hardly expect someone who tries to smell things in class to be able to spell.

Yes yes, we all know "smelt" is a weird way of saying "smelled" and can easily confuse the average american. You just have to accept that other countries may not speak the same english as us, sometimes because of their accent. (ex. Colour)

YakuzaxGeneralz 9

Is the use of "smelt" instead of "smelled" here bugging anyone else? I know technically "smelt" is okay but it's still bothering me :P

MyChemicalSmosh 4

Yep, it's bothering me too. >.<

Sigh. OP is from Australia. In Australian, British, South African and other kinds of English, the past tense of "smell" is "smelt", just like the past tense of "spell" is "spelt" and the past tense of "learn" is "learnt". So technically, "smelt" is correct by majority. What really bothers me is stupid people.

What bothers me is how OP managed to smelt their phone with their bare hands. Usually it requires extreme amounts of heat. Maybe the Australians have stumbled upon cold fusion?

Fading away - summed it up pretty good!

BlackBlazeCobra 16

I was derping, mainly cause I'm dead tired and American. I honestly thought he was smelting his phone at first.

He wasn't smelling his phone?????? I think a lot of theses fml this morning we're wrote under the influence of something.

twisted_cherub 14

37-Not being familiar with the dialects of foreign countries doesn't mean a person is stupid. 23 admitted knowing it was technically correct. She's simply stating that, because "smelt" is more commonly used with a different meaning here, it's confusing to some of us. Even the U.S. has so many different dialects I could never be familiar with them all. Is everyone who isn't stupid supposed to know everything about every culture in the world?