By preggersss - 19/07/2009 02:27 - United States

Today, I got sick in the airsick bag as my flight landed. The woman next to me, trying to make me feel better, says "Don't handle landings too well?" I responded "No, I actually fly fine, I'm just 8 weeks pregnant." She looked at my left hand, noticed no ring, rolled her eyes and looked away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 627
You deserved it 17 208

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You people do realize that not all people exchange rings when they are getting married. My cousins are SDA and they don't believe in wedding rings. They have three kids and I would hate for people to look down on her just b/c she isn't wearing a ring when she has been married for many years now.

Xinabeth 0

Some people don't believe in a god, so the choose to not be married under a god. Marriage is a religious concept; if you don't have a religion, why bother getting married? Just because someone isn't married doesn't mean they can't have kids. That lady was quite rude :(

Comments

Uepari 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

**** you! just because shes pregnant before marriage doesn't mean she's a ***** or wrong in any way! get off you're moral high horse you asshole because you have no right to judge anyone! you aren't god! you don't make the rules!

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Yeah, 'cause I've never known a single woman who has become pregnant outside of marriage and raised a great child. Nope, not at all. /facepalm

Do you really think someone will take your comments seriously when your spelling is that ******* atrocious?

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
oh_dear34 0

@ #40: Oooooooooh!!! He misspelled ONE word!!! What a horrible, horrible speller!! Did you ever hear of a TYPO? Maybe you should listen to some of the comments here that say not to be judgemental.

You should have puked in her hair. That would have been ******* awesome. :D

akalisser 0

It really does not take that long to judge someone. Have you never judged a stranger in your life before?

So, just because she's pregnant and not married automatically means family counselling? So what, a marriage automatically makes things perfect? Right. *eyeroll*

#25 - Not necessarily... for both of your questions. If they decide to break up (which is likely, considering they're not serious enough about their commitment for the state to recognize it), chances are that it would get nasty, since they have no legal backing or way to split things evenly (if the break-up is an angry one (if it's mutual and peaceful, there's no real problem with the legal issues and divisions of property, kids, money, etc. (that I can see))). And since they're not too serious about their relationship, their family might have more issues than a mature, adult, married couple with children. Of course, as you said, there are always innumerable married couples who have problems and families that need counseling as well.

Iloveyencheck 0

Okay your all saying how the lady was so judgemental but what about the rest of you? All the comments on here that say ydi for not being married are all buried isn't that a bit judgemental?

No this country is going to shit because of people like the OP. I find it hilarious that the only comments that are being buried are those by "overly religious moral" people. What is wrong with having morals? There is much more wrong with not having morals as is the case for just about every person on this site. You're all a bunch of idiots.

The thing wrong with your type is that you believe marriage is necessary to properly raise a child. She could have a supportive boyfriend, and they could both be bringing in a solid income. Marriage is not necessary to have a child.

*sarcasm*Yes because that's exactly what I said.*/sarcasm* Don't go thinking because you have a different believe that it is the only correct belief. Because obviously you're the only sane person in the world.

*sigh* trust me, the child is just as likely to need counseling if they're raised in a crappy marriage. Why do people think that marriage is the only way to function?

#36 - I totally agree (about the chances of needing counseling if the kid's raised in a bad marriage). I don't think marriage is the ONLY way to function (some people still do, though, of course), but it is considered a safer (legally) and more serious way to show commitment. It was considered the 'norm' back in the day. ;)

You know you people are really messed up and or naive because I was raised in a family where my parents were married, and frankly I wish they would have divorced way before I was an adult or never married at all---they were miserable, and since the divorce my mom has come so far...I couldn't be prouder of her with her SINGLE MOTHER status. She practically raised us on her own even with him there, she shielded us from a whole lot of the shit he put her through. Sometimes marriage isn't the answer...people DEFIANTLY should NOT get married just because of a baby---that's not what a marriage should be based on at all. There is also the fact that birth control isn't 100% fool proof...my daughter, myself and my brother are all birth control conceptions...so I don't tell me u can't get pregnant on birth control.

oh_dear34 0

@ #109: Who said you cannot get pregnant on birth control? I wasn't aware that was part of the conversation above your comment. Everyone knows that the only fool-proof method of birth control is abstinence. And anal (just kidding!). And if you actually bothered to read the poster's clarification of what he/she meant, maybe you could've saved everyone's time and not gone on that lame tirade.

maybe on something blatant, like if they're obnoxious. I'm not going to look deep into their relationship status and make decisions about things that I can only assume.

oh_dear34 0

Agreed. This is the problem with America, at least, today. Marriage is just a disposable thing to most people of our generation. When did marriage become stupid or a burden? Maybe if people took some time to actually get to know their spouses before getting married to them marriages would last longer. Marriage should be a wonderful thing; committing your life fully to the person who one believes is his/her soulmate. I think it's beautiful. However, it has become so commonplace for young adults my age to just go around sleeping with anything with a pulse. It really is sad. And everyone yelling at people who think she's a **** for being pregnant and not married is, in reality, right. It does make her a ***** in everyone's eyes. I have friends who have children and are my age and I don't want to associate with them because people will believe I'm that kind of girl as well. The OP should suck it up and should have known that was how people would react. Get over it, OP.

Why is a marriage required for a lifelong commitment? It makes her a ***** in "everyone's" eyes? Am I no one? If your friendships mean so little to you that you don't want to associate with your friends because of how people will look at you, your friends are probably better off without you. Particularly given that the number of people who will actually look at you, or even them, differently isn't a huge number, and it shrinks every day.

#30 if everyone was like you, the we would be about 100 times off worse than we are now. Also I don't approve of having a child before marriage but YDI for not using safe sex... It's that simple. A kid SHOULD grow up in a healthy marriage, and safe sex SHOULD be used. Also getting am eye roll from an old lady isn't the end of a world...

#30 if everyone was like you we would be 100 times off worse than we are now... And YDI for not using safe sex. The point is a child SHOULD be raised in a healthy marriage and safe sex SHOULD be used. If not, than it's not the end of the world. Case Closed.

Really? You don't think there are people out there that will do that? Well, there are. I don't see why this is autonatic BS. Just as there are those that will judge someone on sight for being black, or muslim, or whatever, there are those that will glance down, see no ring, roll their eyes and look away.

BedHeadRed 0

#41.... and #42 (way to go on that one) I would rather be in a happy relationship for a while without marriage and have a child who has happy parents as apposed to being in a misserable marriage and raising a child. And who said she didn't plan the child?? Just because you are an unwed monther doesnt mean that it was lack of brithcontrol that made it happen.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

see my reply to seventeen and ditto for you douche bag

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

You know, if people were like us, (by us, I mean the ones who are arguing about people this age being so damn judgmental because it's true,) life would be a lot better.

Darrus 0

Agreed! Why is your comment buried?? @OP-That's no FML, you just met a dumb woman. You'll meet stupid people all the time, get used to it...

Doc_J65 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It's too bad people can't be in a commited relationship without getting married. That's why gays will never be real people. I don't consider them real because they don't take the extra step and get married. Oh, wait.

You are a narrow minded, ignorant piece of shit. How can you be so rude? Maybe the world would be better off without you.

They weren't being serious, they were making a point that that train of thought is stupid.

ihatestupidppl 0

As everyone else has said, people really shouldn't be that quick to judge in that situation. And there's one reason some people overlook...there *are* those who don't wear wedding rings. I'm not assuming OP was married, I personally don't care if she was, as other people have said. But like, its not REQUIRED to wear a ring when you're married. I knew a pregnant woman once who couldn't wear her ring until after the pregnancy because her fingers were swollen all the time. So yeah, just throwing that out there, for kicks.

What? You can be in a committed relationship WITHOUT being married?! INCONCEIVABLE! CRAZY TALK! This IS the 1950s, where everything must be prim and proper, is it not?

nwc020 0

gays can get married in my state

@32: ****, I love you. Seriously. OP: Don't be too worried about judgemental people. There're too many in this world to worry about what every single one of them thinks of you.