By WTF? - 03/10/2013 16:42 - United States - Albuquerque

Today, I got kicked out of English class shortly after our teacher told us we have to write an essay on how the storyline of Harry Potter is one big allegory for "the futility of socialism." Apparently, reacting with disbelief makes me a "disruptive influence." FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 921
You deserved it 3 968

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Stupid teachers make me concerned for future generations.

This worries me... Shouldn't teachers praise students having opinions, instead of punishing for thinking?

Comments

How's that? Seems like a lot of individual achievement in those books.

Socialism does not exclude individual accomplishment. I really feel a lot of people confuse socialism and communism. There's a reason they have different names.

It's not even communism in the books. It's corruption and totalitarianism. Ends up with a head honcho pulling all the shots and off with your head if you disagree. Dictators aren't communism. I'd say Voldemort's a perfect tyrant anyway.

Seriously, why would you act in disbelief? Have you read the books? I would argue that they contain much that could obviously be a condemnation of socialism. However if you disagree that simply means the assignment is more challenging, and will force you to consider the books themselves and politics more deeply. OK, so HP is hardly literature, and JKR is not great at working around gaping, obvious plot holes, but that is not the point. You can still learn a lot by analysing them even if it is to learn how it could have been done better. So yeah, YDI because reacting in disbelief to a reasonable assignment is disruptive. You are not in charge, the teacher is. Get used to it. If you want control, gain it by writing a good essay and making clever use of the assignment.

I've read the whole series twice, once when I was younger and once a couple years ago, both times I had not picked up on socialism. However I'm sure that connection could be made. I think op was just extremely surprised at the connection, as it really isn't popular. However I do agree op could have taken his own twist on the assignment that's usually encouraged!

frizz101 22

The Harry potter books are a big part of this generation. I have read the books many times and I have never picked up on anti socialism. And do tell the "gaping plot points?" You don't have to like Harry potter, but you don't have to be an a** about it.

BriCx 8

Are your parents brother and sister, 18?

I gotta say... I thumbed you down SOLELY because you dissed Harry Potter! Those books are, like, my life and childhood all summed up (and not just mine, I am far from the only one) lolz

I must have read a different series about magic and stuff.

BriCx 8

Same here, 61. In fact it was The Sorcerer's Stone that got me into writing to begin with. 18 must be a Twitard...

All the hate on a good point because someone didn't share your view of a specific book series. That's sad and is EXACTLY why assignments like this need to be handed out. Otherwise you get people who make decisions on voting and social reforms who form opinions based on "we'll I like it so it must be right."

kxxjoejoexxk 8

Next assignment class: Write a ten page essay on edward cullens manlyness

86- in the U.S. (and other countries?) it's sorcerer's stone. In the U.K. (other countries?) it was published as philosopher's stone.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

#18- "Harry Potter is hardly literature and JK Rowling can't get past gaping plot holes." (I'm summarizing, that may not be exactly correct).... Really? Let's see YOU write something better. xD

perdix 29

Witches of the world, unite! Quidditch is the opiate of the masses. From Ravenclaw, according to his Slytherins; To Hufflepuff, according to his Gryffindors. How hard was that?

lanco_fml 10
perdix 29

Behave yourself in school or you could get expelliarmused!

happyfingers 15

Hehehehehehe You totally just made me giggle. XD

LoopyLuuLuu 7

one thing that always bothered me about most of my high school English teachers (and one or two university ones) was how they so often insisted on reading more into some author's work than was ever intended. Sorry, OP.

I dont think he was reading too far into it. If you think about it for half a second, you can see a lot of anti-socialism ideas and beliefs in Harry Potter. Although I am one of those crazy people who believes that books, especially ones as good as Harry Potter, should be enjoyed rather than analyzed =)

Where are the anti socialist ideals?

Sometimes these things can be worked around. I had no intention of reading this horrific book that my teacher wanted us to read as a class. I told my mother about it, and she took it to the school saying that she didn't want me reading garbage and doing class assignments on something that had a theme that was contrary to what we believed in. I don't remember the name of it anymore, and certainly it didn't really go against my beliefs, but I thought from the first few chapters that it was atrocious and would have nothing to do with it. So I got the option between a couple different books that kinda had a similar theme to it, and had to write papers on that.

Are you also the kind of person that doesn't watch the news and pretends the world is made of rainbows and unicorns? Why are you so afraid of a book? The worst it can do is widen your views about the world and your existence. But maybe that's what you and your mother are afraid of. That the book shakes your naive observance of reality. Not to mention what an horrible attitude towards life that is. You can't always have what you want. Sometimes you'll do stuff you don't want to and you'll have to be prepared for it.

kyu_Q 19

so if something goes against what you believe in its atrocious? ....ok

kyu_Q 19

How or where does socialism appear in the Harry Potter series? The Ministry of magic was not meddling until there was a threat from Voldermort. The minister got along well with Dimbledore until he got full of himself and was in denial. One of if not the main aim of socialism , in theory, is to produce things that benefit the people and not be focused on profit. Where does this happen in the books? Voldermort wanted to rule. He would not have shared anything with his followers or the magical community that he thought would have made them better than himself. yes there was serious meddling by the ministry. But that was just the establishment trying to save their own ass and to keep the status quo. no one wanted Voldermort to be back so they ignored the warnings and turned a blind eye to the problem. if anything the books show what happens to dictators (and thats a stretch) While there might be a close relationship between the two they should not be bundled as the same thing

TheDrifter 23

I'd say the second half of the series, with Umbridge (the government representative) overruling academic freedom and imposing a government mandated set of beliefs upon the curriculum, followed by the rise of a totalitarian leader (Voldemort) replacing teachers with those loyal to him and teaching his beliefs could be viewed as an allegory about socialism, though I'd say it's more a rebuke of authoritarian government in general.

Guys. Seriously. That is NOT socialism. The current French president is a socialist. I see no more corruption there than in, say, Bush's America, let alone an authoritarian regime.

TheDrifter 23

Everything I mentioned happened in France seventy years ago. Once the system is in place people simply continue under it, many of them not caring about the extent to which the government controls their education, media intake and lives in general and even more simply not knowing that there is a different way.

maybe that was the point of the assignment? To force the students to think outside the box and really research both socialism and the books. They would learn something new about politics AND skills in analysing books. You seem to be assuming this was the teachers opinion - maybe they were merely trying to stretch their students minds and open them up to creative thinking. And OP being a pain in the backside by 'expressing disbelief' may well have been disruptive if the teacher was trying to explain the assignment and didn't need the subject opening up for debate - thats what the essay was for.

conqueror57 11

Socialism is an economic theory. Harry Potter never dealt with economics. Your teacher needs to clarify what s/he means.

Ive read that series many times and there is NOTHING in those books that say anything about socialism it does poke fun at corrupted governments though that stick their head so far up their ass just to hear what they say and make things worse (US government for example) but nothing close to socialism at all