By mog907 - 25/07/2016 18:31 - United States - Wasilla

Today, I got fired from my first job because of the herpes on my lip. It was actually a 2nd degree burn from soup that splashed on to my lips when I was serving it but my manager doesn't believe me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 275
You deserved it 1 236

Same thing different taste

Top comments

OK, so it wasn't herpes. But how can you get fired for that even if it was?

Does your boss not realize that over 50% of the population has oral herpes? As long as you are using gloves and not like spitting in food it should not be a problem, even if it was herpes. He sounds very ignorant.

Comments

alright definitely sue or bring hr into this! your boss is a douche!

WTF - How is it possible to splash your lips with enough soup to burn them while serving it to a customer? OP were you sampling the customer's soup - If you were you deserve to be fired for that.

That's discrimination. You could actually take them to court over that.

Wrongful termination, not discrimination.

It's actually both I think. It's discrimination because he is being fired over a virus that has a stigma attached to it. The fact he was actually terminated over is wrongfully termination. It's just wrong on all counts

Honestly if your too lazy or not smart enough to take an hour out of your day and go to a doctor to get tested and prove that it's not herpes then YDI

Why should op waste time and money to prove something that over 90% of the population has? That is absolutely ridiculous.

rldostie 19

Not to mention what if the OP doesn't have healthcare insurance yet and the jobs insurance hasn't kicked in yet. Lab tests are expensive. Not to mention who can get in with a doctor within an hour?

There is such things as free clinics. And it's better to get tested and know for your future partners if you have an STD or not. Alaska has such a high STD rate that getting tested is a smart thing to do and not a waste of time.

The type of herpes op would have is on the mouth, it's not the STD. If you know of cold sores, that's what it is. Cold sores are a flare up of it. A LOT of people have this type of herpes.

@62: Cold sores (oral herpes) is HSV-1, this is NOT an std. The std is HSV-2, genital herpes. The two are interchangable, but it's rare (mind you, they do have distinctively different DNA).

I have an issue believing you get such a bad burn from serving soup. The soup would have to be extremely hot, to which why would you be serving it that hot? And

You cannot get fired for that. You could go to corporate and get your manager in trouble. or if it's a private business you can sue.

It sounds like it's not the sexually transmitted Herpes but the cold sore Herpes Simplex

Not to be rude, but... Obviously. I'm not even sure how pointing that out has any relevance to the issue. The problem isn't whether or not they had a cold sore, it's that they were fired over it.

It makes all the difference, I can maybe see reasoning behind the manager firing OP if it was the sexually transmitted Herpes since that is contagious but the cold sore one, that you can easily treat with prescriptions or OTC and OP should not be fired over that.

Actually, you can't treat Herpes Simplex. You can remedy the symptoms, but you can never get rid of the virus itself. Don't forget you can infect others, even if you don't show the symptoms. However, since about 90% of the population already has it, why even bother?

don't feel bad I got laid off my first job because I couldn't come in to work ( I WAS IN A CAR ACCIDENT ).

Happened to me once, I mean I was a delivery driver, a bunch of Italians screaming at Me, and it was the second time i was in an accident while working for them (not on the job, just during my employment, and also neither my fault, and both cars totaled) and another time my car had major problems that I couldn't get fixed for s while, but needless to say they needed more drivers a few months later and got the job back, plus I had a working car.

To those saying she can't be fired for that, maybe she was initially sent home to let it heal and then fired because she refused to go and hence, from the managers viewpoint, insisted to work while contagious. It would still be incorrect but at least the manager would have a more valid reason.