By porcelainleigh - 23/11/2016 19:41 - United States

Today, I got engaged. I called my mom and told her. "You didn't say yes, did you?" she said. Afterwards, I told my dad. "Uh, Congratulations. But, I have questions." Thanks guys. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 502
You deserved it 1 068

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"Mom, I got engaged!" "You didn't say yes, did you?" "I… I feel like it was implied that I did. It's not like he worded his proposal so my refusal would be a double negative. 'Will you not marry me?' 'No.'"

Sounds like the conversation was rather engaging

Comments

It may suck that they're not sharing the joy here, but it's much, MUCH better to find out that they have issues early on. This way, you have plenty of time to address their concerns and put their silly worries to rest. By the time the wedding rolls around, they can/will wholeheartedly support your union. Or... they have a good reason to be worried. For all I know, you just got engaged to a cocain dealer. I don't know your life.

To me, it seems like the marriage may be between two women/men. Mom and dad may have been like "Oh, okay, let's just roll with this for now." and never actually expected their daughter/son to marry a woman/man. So one of those questions could be pertaining to future grandchildren that he is anticipating. Or I could be completely wrong.

How in the world is my comment getting so many down votes?

Tsumetai_ 11

oi hadn't considered this possibility but you do have a good point. OP could be in a same-sex relationship and it could explain the parents hesitations/reactions. the parents could be okay with OP dating but didn't think it would go as far as marriage.

This sounds a bit worrying... because they don't sound like crazy parents, they sound they have reasons for wondering if this is the right thing for you OP. Do you know what their objections are?

I'm imagining that one is 15 and one is 40 and the 15 is going "but mooooom I loooooove him!" Heh heh heh.

My dad told me I was stupid and not to tell anyone. His mom said, "Why? Did you get her knocked up?" Thirty-one years later and we've had many happier years than those two marriages put together and I still haven't had that baby. Ignore them.

ok well I'm going to say you deserve it because there is obviously more to this story.

Sounds like my mother. If I was to get engaged. But this made me think, just recently I was told someone I know just got engaged after a few months of dating. Instead of giving good thoughts, I immediately said so soon. My skepticism immediately presented itself. JUST LIKE MY MOTHER.

404wan 19

sounds like they might have a bad opinion of your future husband. If they just suck i'd say ignore them... But if you have a good relationship with your parent's then maybe they have a point? maybe you guys have serious troubles you're blinded to by the proposal.