By Simms - 14/03/2012 02:32 - United States

Today, I got back to work at my hospital after some sick leave. The first jackass to waste my time was a guy with leg lacerations. This, he claimed, was because he tried to break a samurai sword over his leg as part of a bet. It's day one and already I want to kill myself. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 525
You deserved it 6 463

Same thing different taste

Top comments

All part of the business. Just be glad that you're far smarter than he is.

Comments

To waste your time? Thats your job. You get paid for that work, jackass, don't be such a douche about it.

isis_morrigan 18

Yeah, because it's so much better to have your time wasted by a dumbass like that than a patient without self-inflicted/induced trauma, like say, a heart attack or car accident! Unfortunately you can't ignore them because of their stupidity, and it does effect the "real" patients with problems not of their own making.

Yeah OP gets paid for it, but they could be treating patients with more severe, dangerous injuries. Not idiots who want to break something almost unbreakable against their leg.

11 and others, these same retards will also attempt to sue the doctor if they don't do their job to perfection. It's a stressful role as it is, that doesn't need to be made worse by needless injury that honestly shouldn't even be treated. Nature is clearly dropping some strong hints here that this guy should not still be walking...

KM96 24

What an idiot! I wish you luck OP - don't give up though coz life gets better :)

kiraleann 16

You're so chipper, your patients must adore you.

THEKAISER 4

I don't want to live on this planet anymore

Well umm I can give you some names to call they claim that a space ship will take them to heaven or some shit. There is a catch though, you have to drink some red kool aid. ;)

he seems like an interesting guy. lol. good luck OP!

That sucks... Your job could be worse though

Part of the dismay of working in the medical field is getting to experience firsthand the endless amount of human stupidity in certain cases. I'm fairly certain DocBastard would agree.

Personally, I can handle the stupidity, i just take it in my stride as part of a friday or saturday night call, it's the cruelty, inhumanity, inequality and unfairness that gets to me - I try not to pass judgement, cos it would impact on the way I treat my patients, but I often can't fathom how and why they do some of the things they do to eachother...also, I have daily existential crises over why some people seem to be dealt blow after blow, while others seem to have fortune shine upon them...

desireev 17

Well, it's your job... Smile and act like you'd love to help! That is what you're getting paid pretty good money to do. Everybody complains about their job... But you're being a tad dramatic! I have to say YDI. You work in healthcare. You know what to expect. And if it's making you 'want to kill yourself', you need to find a more suitable job for yourself and your issues. Once again, YDI.

20, When people sign on to health care it is generally not with the realisation that most of what they'll be treating is a load of window licking idiots that managed to sneakily bypass evolution. This becomes a serious issue when you factor in the stress involved with working in this area, with zero margin for error.

desireev 17

What you say is very true. It is very stressful. As I am a nurse, myself. I know exactly how stressful it is. But I also know that it is my job. I have to deal with the idiotic patients as well as the serious patients who, in the end, turn out to be inspirational and great patients. I know how stressful it is for the OP. But if OP is to a point of 'wanting to kill herself', she needs to choose a different career path.

134, If life were as easy as just doing something else I'm sure many people would. Sadly, with few people hiring at entry level - especially mature age - I'd suggest it is unlikely that this is a realistic option that won't add to the individuals problem. As I said, nobody expects the realisation that most of their patients are complete imbeciles. It's unrealistic to expect them to be able to handle it because they "chose that path". It's hardly something someone deserves.

I think he was the one trying to kill himself

Create a blog like DocBastard and laugh off the stupidity. Stupid people get hurt so you're bound to see plenty in your profession.