By Homeless - 09/03/2009 12:12 - United States

Today, I got back to my apartment from being away for the past week on Spring break. I found the locks on my apartment changed and all my things on the curb, many of them broken or stolen. I ran to the leasing office to see what had happened. Turns out it was an accounting error on their part. FML
I agree, your life sucks 97 099
You deserved it 3 525

Same thing different taste

Top comments

well i'm sure either you/they have insurance, and you can always take them to court, esp. to sue them for not only material but also "emotional" damages.

Comments

Sue them for all they're ******* worth!! Stupid asses can't even do their own damned jobs right...!

ummmyeahhh 0

that's why you get RENTER's INSURANCE and sue their asses! Especially if it's a dorm. At least all they got was material, and nothing sentimental/very expensive...

bentleyGCspeed 0

You don't know that. All their stuff, some was bound to have sentimental value to them.

they usually should give you two weeks notice before they do that. that is horrible conduct and you can probably sue for a ton of money.

My apartment complex has my cell phone number whenever I go out of town, and our lease agreement states that if they are to enter my apt for ANY reason they have to call me first if I'm not there. If they violate that I get to do pretty much whatever - up to and including sue the complex for breach of contract. If they left your stuff outside and didn't contact you over a clerical error - I suspect that you'll be owning the complex shortly so don't worry too much about your stuff... hah.

A lot of times people on here say "sue them" over any little thing, but I agree with the others on here- this warrants a lawsuit. Whatever insurance doesn't cover, sue their asses for. That's absolutely ridiculous. You were gone a week? And they didn't say anything to you before you left? That seems like an awfully short period of time to kick someone to the curb, whether it was an accounting error or not. Screw them. Any reasonable landlord would have given you several notices. If you didn't respond, they then should have tried to contact a relative or friend of yours, THEN they should have put your stuff in storage and charged you for the cost, not thrown it out into the street. If you sue them, you'll probably be successful since they didn't do any of that.

holynemesis1208 3

sounds like something my evil roommate would do to me.

where do you go to school? Rochester by any chance?

kagome_eb 0

17 you from rochester? "sketch at best" mean anything to you?

that's really weird... normally you have to give 30 days notice before eviction, even if they think you didn't pay. they messed up big time

yeah I go to RIT, I was just saying cuz we are on the weird system where spring break just ended