By Flora - 17/04/2013 22:56 - United States - Watsonville

Today, I got ancestry DNA tests for my parents and myself. The DNA testing company informed me that I'm a 50% match for my mother but I share no DNA with my father. Apparently, both my parents forgot that they used a sperm donor. This insignificant detail has slipped their minds for 35 years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 650
You deserved it 3 295

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Even though it would have been best for them to tell you, maybe it just didn't matter to them because they know that the real parents are who raise you, not who you are biologically from.

That sucks FYL! but as long as your "father" treated you with love and raised you as his own,then remember the good memories and know he loves you just as he would if you were his real son

Comments

Why should it matter? They both loved you like you were their own. They both wanted you.

fksfsdhfsdfh 26

At least you are not adopted (Sorry adopted people)

onorexveritas 23

what if op was adopted and their biological parents were horrible people? it wouldn't be so bad then.

You're a dick #13! *Runs off hysterically, arms flailing wildly*

CharresBarkrey 15

What's wrong with being adopted?

Nothing because you win the adoption game when you're adopted.

dixiefoxx 22

What the hell? I'm adopted and I don't see a problem with it

RedPillSucks 31

Plus. If your parents or siblings are jerks you can think "Thank GOD I'm adopted".

That's an awful thing to say, I know a number of people who have been adopted and their parents think the world of them and vice versa.

# 61 Take no notice sweetie, this persons just an idiot whose opinion doesn't count for anything. Just remember your parents longed for you, that persons parents are stuck with an idiot who makes ridiculous comments like that one! X :)

BellaBelle_fml 23

It almost seems as though you were attempting sarcasm or a joke of some kind and were not really serious about the whole being adopted thing. However, wether kidding or not, it was in poor taste. It's never really ok to joke around with adoption.

the only thing I can think is do they have a family medical history on the donor? You have to give one every time you are at the doctor.

monnanon 13

ive only had to give full medical history twice. i can see it mattering for certain medicines or for certain conditions but not every time

I know it sounds weird that it slipped their mind but it's because you are their child regardless of genes... My ex worried about family medical history all the time forgetting our son wasn't his biological child

onorexveritas 23

so what? they love and raised you

I'm more concerned that you haven't known your family medical history for 35 years. That was a really stupid thing to keep from you. Sorry OP, I'd feel a little betrayed even though it doesn't change too much.

It doesn't matter as much as you might think. Becoming a sperm donor is not taken lightly and only guys with excellent family health histories can qualify (unless it's sperm from a family friend), so if half your genes are from a sperm bank, you're healthier than a lot of people!

Oh I wasn't aware of the procedure for sperm donation. Disregard my previous comment then :-P

I think that's one of the first times I've seen someone respond without getting all attitude-y!

don't let this detail affect your relationship with your parents op.

Although that is a really big thing to forget. It could be possible. Sometimes when people really want to forget something, they actually can. I've blocked out half of my teenage life somehow. I remember things here and there, and I'll be reminded sometimes from someone or something. But I just didn't really want to remember most of it, so I chose not to. And just because biologically he's not your father doesn't mean he's not your dad.

I guess what they say about the milk man is true.