By ScreweD- - 16/11/2015 21:39 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I got a writing assignment back. After meeting with my professor specially after class and meticulously combing through every word of that paper, I got a low D. Turns out, he graded me down on every suggestion of his that I took. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 155
You deserved it 2 102

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's really terrible teaching. I'm sorry op. What's the point of giving pointers if your not allowed to use them? I thought that was the point of "teaching"?

So he's trying to teach you to not learn from him? That's ridiculous...

Comments

I don't understand. Is he holding a grudge ?

TeacherTeacher 11

Discuss it with him. It could be that you misinterpreted his advice or he's just a jerk. If you misinterpreted, he will appreciate your effort. If he's a jerk, you can go to the university with your paper and the fact that you met with him twice to get it right as proof that it's him and hit you. As a rule universities don't like profs who downgrade. Students are more likely to transfer than to repeat.

I think teachers want original ideas instead of something they already taught you?

Then why bother teaching them or telling them their opinions if they're just going to disregard and downgrade them for it?

The class is SUPPOSED to be them teaching them. That's the point of going to school, to learn what THEY can teach you.

Evil_Wench 16

I had the opposite once: teacher force-fed the class her opinions over several weeks then, when the essay comes along, I try to use some of my own ideas (fully explained and backed up with relevant quotes) and I get marked down for not regurgitating what she'd told us. You can't win, OP.

Going to the Dean would be a great idea.

Probably because you're supposed to think of your own ideas. Suggestions are exactly that, suggestions. He gave them to you as guidelines, not as "here's an idea to save you having to come up with one!"

If that's the case, then he should've told them what he was looking for. He should've said, "here's an idea, maybe try to come up with something similar." Because when most teachers or people give you suggestions, they expect you to take them up on those suggestions.

I took it as suggestions on the structure of the essay, not the ideas it contained.