By Anonymous - 11/07/2011 04:48 - United States

Today, I got a text message from my ex from about a year ago, asking if my 4-day-old son was his. I don't know what's sadder - the fact that he thinks a gestation period can last 11 months, or that he's more willing to step up to the plate than the baby's actual father. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 864
You deserved it 9 440

Same thing different taste

Top comments

A man doesn't have to be a biological father to be a daddy!

Comments

agreed. obviously every girl who has sex is a ****

To clarify, I'm not suggesting to lie to the ex... Rather "to hell" with the deadbeat. Your child and YOU deserve better than some wishy washy bum.

I think what's worse is that you got pregnant only two months after you two broke up. Maybe that's why the real dad doesn't want to step up. You weren't together long then, all of a sudden, there's a baby in the equation..

There's nothing in the text to suggest OP and the kid's father were not together for a long time before she broke up with her ex'. Women cheat too.

Yes there is. The baby is 4 DAYS old. Think about the timing on that.

I think you may be confused here. Her ex has been off the scene for 11 months, which is 2-months longer than the human gestation period. I agree - but that was not the issue. 19 suggested that the OP had only been with the kid's father for 2 months before getting pregnant but that assumes no overlap. The OP could have been with the kid's father _and_ her "ex" for an extended period so this assumption does not hold because it is founded on the further assumption of monogamy for which we have no basis.

finalyearsofhate 22

actually human gestation is normally 40 weeks. which is about 10 months. I don't get where the whole 9 months thing came from. she got knocked up a month after leaving her ex.

MissFukMyLuck 0

thank you 47 for pointing that out! my ex was confused about that up till my son was born

iamtwiggyme 0

Human Gestation is 40 weeks because doctors start counting from your last period, not the day you conceive. 9 months is technically how long you carry a child. 10 months is the length of the pregnancy. doctors do this to have a more universal way to calculate the baby's growth and the mothers needs.

MedChew 19

47 Do you not realize that most months are 30 or 31 days and not 4 weeks (28days)? 9 multiplied by 30.5 (let's assume an average) = 274.5 274.5/7 = ~39 weeks, pretty close no?

MedChew 19

59 No, we (women rather) do NOT get pregnant with children for 10 months, period. That'd be post-date beyond saving. We calculate from the last menstrual period, which is even before the egg has being released. If anything, we are technically carrying the child less longer than the when we 'start' pregnancy.

The real dad should have thought about that before he had unprotected sex with the OP. He is responsible for that child, regardless of how long he and the mother dated before the child was conceived.

JBenyon 0

There's 52 weeks in a year so if 40 weeks is 10 months you're saying the other 2 months of the year have 6 weeks each? I don't think so!

Op does seem to be somewhat of a ****. So there definitely is a chance that she knew the real Daddy for a long time before getting pregnant

52/12=4.3 40/4.3= 9.3 so ur average pregnancy is 9.3 months

I was born about 3.5 months premature

#109 Who say's they had unprotected sex? They could've used several birth control methods, they don't always work.

Se0ul_Fr3sh 0

Ummmm i feel kinda dumb for asking...but what is contraception..? o.0

Se0ul_Fr3sh 0

Ummmm i feel kinda dumb for asking...but what is contraception..? o.0

unlifeoftheparty 10

come back to this site when you're old eough to understand the material it contains because you're clearly not if you don't understand a term that is learned in middle school.

that shows he cares about ur kid and how he/she grows up. sure, he's stupid, but he cares. it's hard to raise a kid when ur single, consider asking him to help u. don't tell him genus the father cuz he will probably find out eventually :/ THAT could make a real FML

He asked that through a text message? Really? And why did he wait four years? Well OP, it seems you've got a lot of bad luck in your life. I'm sorry that the actual father doesn't want to take his responsobility, but on the other hand, you got pregnant two months after you broke up with your ex. That means you were less then two months together with the father, and therefore I can understand why he ran away. It's not the right thing to do, but it's understandable. Contraception is such a nice thing, but yeah, it's too late for that.

icadragoon 11

The baby is 4 days old, not 4 years old.

Woops, my bad. The FML makes a lot more sense now. You can ignore my last comment, but I still think that 1) he shouldn't have asked that through a text message, 2) she should have used better contraception.

yea, I thought it said 4 years old at first too

He didn't wait 4 years, he waited 4 DAYS.

I don't know which is sadder, either, but I do know what's saddest. You ditched a guy who was willing to do the job, for a guy who wasn't.

avclovewsh 8

how do you know he didn't ditch her then?? you can't assume something you don't know ....

Oh, yes I can. This is FML, not a court of law. If I'm wrong, she says, "I'm not a complete moron. Yay!" If I'm right, well, then it truely is an FML. Also, the ex called her. He's still interested. Unlikely if he dumped her.

But they could have broken up for a wealth of reasons! He may have cheated or take drugs or god knows. Not every man who offers to be a father is necessarily a responsible adult.

it's entirely possible he lost track of the time and thought it was closer to 9-10 months that you broken up than 11-12. Its sad about the baby's actual dad. :-(

you know what they say slow fella, slow swimmers... let's hope he never breeds just what the world needs! good luck with that one and maybe buy him a callendar so he can count back