By bshoemaker45601 - 08/06/2016 20:57 - United States - Circleville

Today, I got a job at a casino where I was actually planning on spending my 21st birthday next month. After they hired me, they told me no employees are allowed to play or gamble on or off the clock, for as long as they are employed there, or termination will immediately follow. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 314
You deserved it 3 528

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Congratulations on the job! I know it sucks that you can't gamble there anymore, but think about it this way - you've scored yourself consistent employment and are saving yourself from blowing all of your money. Is there another casino near that one where you can celebrate by any chance?

Be happy you don't live in Pennsylvania. My mother works at a casino in town and she isn't allowed to gamble at any casino in the entire state.

Comments

There are at least three different casinos within ten minutes of my house

Unless your OP's neighbor, I don't see how this is relevant.

And from my house, the nearest casino is 70 miles away.

I have to travel to a different state to get to a casino. What's your point?

I believe the point and the relevance of Jman282's comment was the fact that if there is 1 casino in the area, there are other casinos that the OP could go to gamble.

Be happy you don't live in Pennsylvania. My mother works at a casino in town and she isn't allowed to gamble at any casino in the entire state.

That's not true at all. I also work in a PA casino and that law or rule was changed at least 4 years ago. You are not allowed to gamble in the house you work at or any owned by your company. You are still allowed to gamble at any other casino in state.

Oh_bother44 11

It might not be a state rule- it might be in her contract with the casino that she works for. So it may in fact be true. You don't know for sure.

that's awful. in Michigan, I can gamble anywhere, including the casino in employed at. there are two for this tribe, so rules are the same at both, but they don't care if I visit one outside of the tribe.

Because I'm sure there are no other casinos around, or better yet Fyl because there is no other way for you to have fun than to do that.

To everyone one saying "just go to another casino" it days the op lives in Ohio. There is only 3 or 4 casinos in the whole state and none of them are close to each other. Also if I remember correctly they are all owned by the same company so it's possible the op could be barred from gambling in any of the casinos in the entire state.

Being from Ohio, I can tell you that Horseshoe used to own all of them, but, at least in Cleveland, there are now three different casinos.

I'm not really sure why you would want to work at the same place you want to party. You're turning 21 and it sounds like you're going to get stupid, and then a lot of your coworkers would see. I don't see how anyone would want that. It sounds like they did you a favor with that policy.

OP would be better off going to Atlantic City since New Jersey is close to Ohio.

Sorry, but ydi. You don't plan a party where you work or apply for a job in a place where you have a party planned. Casino or not.

well, on the bright side, you still have plenty of time to change your plan for your birthday.

NinePlusTen 4

Obviously they dont want staff with inside information gambling, ydi.

So… go play at the casino down the road?