By broke bitch - 23/06/2015 04:15 - United States - Hampton

Today, I got a call from my cable company in regards to a bill I didn't pay. I paid the bill two weeks ago in full, but they never told me the account changed when my name was put on the account. So now I owe $170 more, and my ex-roommate is getting a $140 refund in the mail. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 475
You deserved it 2 322

Same thing different taste

Top comments

RpiesSPIES 27

I don't know how the stuff works, but refuse to pay. Also, hopefully you and your ex-roommate didn't depart on bad terms.

That's some pretty expensive cable. You must watch a lot of TV.

Comments

Can't you just suck up to the company and get a 1500 pound check? Lol, OP.

skymachine 23

Seriously? Pounds are a form of cash in the UK.

Exactly :) Thanks. And anyway I do f know what it would be in dollars so.. :)

This is why you cut the cord completely and use the Internet to watch anything you could ever want to, plus it's alot cheaper.

JustinJK 21

Cable bills are usually inclusive of Internet as well.

zach055 23

File a complaint with your state attorney general. You can find all the info online.

Fight it. Ask them to cancel the refund cheque that was going to your room mate. In fact demand they get it from her and only pay the extra $30. Can you go to legal aid for help ?

Call and complain! If you have proof that you paid, you don't have to pay a penny.

sbarua219 17

Ummm pretty sure that's not legal lol. If you paid, you paid. Your money for that bill is somewhere, the lazy company just refuses to look for it. Good luck OP

There is nothing illegal about it. As a customer, you are pretty much responsible for providing the correct information. If you change the name on a contract, you should always verify the other information as well...

sbarua219 17

But it's an honest mistake. Maybe it's just my nature, but personally I would never in my life pay almost $200 more for an idiotic reason like this. OP should call the company and explain the misunderstanding.

MonstreBelle 28

It doesn't matter if it was a mistake. The mistake was on OP's part, which makes them responsible for it. The cable company didn't lose the money. OP assumed they would allow someone whose name is no longer on the account to pay for half. Since they can't accept money from someone who no longer has an account with them, they have to refund the money and OP has to pay the difference. If you make a change to any account on any service, whether it be cable, electric, cell phone, etc. it's your responsibility to make sure you understand all the terms of agreement. It's exactly why it's important to carefully read and make sure you understand the terms of agreement before putting your name on any account. If your name is on an account and you owe money, it's ultimately your responsibility to pay what is owed, regardless if you knew about the cost or not. It sucks, but it's part of being a responsible adult and sometimes people learn things the hard way. Something similar happened to me with my cable. I called to ask about it and was told that it say in the terms of agreement that after the first 12 months the cost would increase. Sure enough, when I went to re-read it, it was there. It's wasn't the cable company's fault that I didn't bother to really read what I had signed the first time around. Instead of acting like I was being treated unfairly and should be entitled to not pay what I owed because I made a mistake, I took responsibility and learned to never make that mistake again.

The thing is though they are refunding the money that the OP paid to them, to the the OP's roommate who moved out. How is that legal? They don't tell the OP that the account has changed now that her name has been put on it instead of the roommates, they take her money anyway, and then return it to an entirely different person. That doesn't make sense since the cable company was obviously aware of the account change when the OP was changing over the account. This isn't the OP not reading something. This is the Cable company failing to update their records properly.

mikethekid 9

Ask your roommate for the $140 since I'm guessing that's what you paid and they refunded it back to your roommate

If you paid with a check or online, then it should be obvious to them that YOU are owed and not anybody else.

I would just ask your roommate for the money back if you two are still on good terms. If not, I would file a claim for it. You shouldn't have to lose over 300 dollars in a mixup that wasn't your fault.