By Blonde - 11/03/2015 03:03 - Canada - Toronto

Today, I googled for an hour how to open my CD player on my laptop. Turns out, there is none. They just put a space there to make it look like a CD player. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 107
You deserved it 6 419

Same thing different taste

Top comments

CD's have gone the way of the floppy disk! LONG LIVE THE USB!

Comments

It was two different laptops. Of course the second time I realized it much sooner.

That sucks, should've spent just a little more time reading about the laptop before purchasing.

Wizardo 33

Just like the new Mac where they took all the USB ports to sell them back to the consumer via a new 'additional USB port adapter'.

You have to be joking. Tell me you're joking. I know Apple is about making you pay more for less but really?

Blackonblight unfortunately it's true, I read an article on Engadget the other day about it. It only has one USB port, and that's the port you use to charge it as well.

Knightchaser27 25

It depends on which Mac you get but I wouldn't be surprised that they start doing this to all of them right now the only ones I know with out USB ports is the new MacBook and MacBook Air

OP, if you really need a CD player you can find pretty cheap external usb ones :-) Personally I haven't had one even on my stationary computers for the last 10 years or so.. No real need for it in this day and age.

He needs it so he can play the sims and set people of fire when he's upset.

Personally I prefer CDs, records, and tapes. I enjoy having a true tangible copy of the music, it sounds better to me for some reason. Also, there's a lot of great music out there that you can't find on the internet, New and old.

There are lots of cars on the road that still only take CD's. That's pretty much the only reason I use CD/DVD players on computers lately, to burn road music CD's.

I've done the same thing! It's crazy they don't make them with it anymore

How often do you need one? I haven't used one in over 6 years.

at least they didn't forget to add the ability to connect to the internet lol. hopefully there is a warranty on the computer?

They didn't forget to install it, OP just didn't pay attention to the specs when they bought the laptop. Plenty of low end laptops don't have CD players nowadays

Was it advertised/sold as having a CD player? If so, you could contact the seller and complain. If not, well, live and learn, and if you really need a CD player, follow the suggetions others have already made here for getting an external one.

That sucks, op. You can still buy an external disc drive if you need it. FYL.

They actually do that a lot. I think part of the reason is that the designers realise people like to customise their computers (although they still insist on customisation voiding the warranty). That and well, CDs are gradually being phased out it seems.

Man, I'm glad I spent an arm and a leg on my laptop. It has a disc drive. Because old games come on discs. And I want to be able to play my old games. No floppy drive, but we have a USB one hanging around. Checking the specs before you buy is a big deal. What comes standard changes so quickly now.