By SoGoodAtLife - 09/03/2016 19:30 - Canada - Toronto

Today, I gave my boss a ride home from work. I had my phone on hands-free mode, so all calls would come through on speaker. I got a call from the new job I was applying at, with my boss listening to each word. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 351
You deserved it 6 631

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe he will give you a raise now he knows you're looking else where.

Soooo... I guess you can kiss that reference goodbye.

Comments

scottishoatmeal 22

That must have been the most awkward car ride of your life

I why let the conversation go into details if you could just say to the caller that you were driving and would talk with them later? Should have just cutted the conversation short and said you would call back later

Sucks man but you kinda deserved it. Could have easily not answered and called another time if that was the situation.

Call me stupid, but I never understood why having your current boss know you're looking for another job is considered a bad thing. At the vet office I worked at the boss knew one of his employee's was job searching and he didn't really care.

different situations and industries. in my line of work it is common for an employer to pay quite a lot of money for employees to be educated and usually receive certifications that can make available jobs that would have been previously unattainable due to lack of said certs. as a business owner, i do not want to lose that kind of investment and it is an insult to use my company funds to get hired elsewhere. this is where more granular agreements must be signed before anything. otherwise anything goes and if i neglected to get them to sign but still put them through courses and they got a better job thats my fault.

It kind of depends on your motivation for looking, too. If your boss thinks you are looking for an new job because you don't like working for them, think they're a jerk, or aren't getting paid enough, that could be seen as an insult to them. Kind of an "oh, we're not good enough for you?" kind of reaction.

Yeah my boss hated me. If she knew i was quitting before i put in my two weeks notice she would have fired me right on the spot.

citykid612 8

My boss would be sad because he enjoys having all of us, but knows we are moving on to bigger things.

You're very lucky if that's how your profession works. The vast majority don't.

moo77_fml 20

Didn't the new potential boss ask if it was a convenient time to talk??? That's the first question I'd ask ... Hope you still have a job at the place ur at now

KaywinnetLeeFrye 15

I hope you got it. Lol. Sorry op

Seriously why would you pick up an unknown number when you are with your boss????????