By AndyClara - 14/06/2015 20:27 - Australia - Raymond Terrace

Today, I found out why my mother-in-law kept asking for one particular photo of our baby. She just wanted to show off the blanket that she had made to her friends on Facebook. Her first grandchild was almost completely cropped out of the picture. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 895
You deserved it 2 250

AndyClara tells us more.

I'm a midwife as well as a mother. I know the world doesn't revolve around me, and that people generally don't care about baby photos unless they know someone related to them or they are very well taken. I've met more new grandparents that I can count, her behaviour is just not typical of the average grandparent I meet. She is a lovely person, she is just not a baby person. No craft group and no other photos of the baby. She is not the worst Grandparent in the world and our baby is beautiful. I found the situation amusing and strange, which makes a perfect submission to FML, so I submitted it! Her reasoning behind it is she didn't want to look like she was showing off her work. The comment section of her Facebook was very amusing to read, almost as amusing as this one, so thanks for the laughs.

Top comments

obliviongillette 18

Get a picture of them together, completely crop her out and post it on Facebook.

She's proud about the blanket - let her be. It sounds like she worked hard on it and wants to show what she did. You have to remember that the world doesn't revolve around you and your baby - everyone else has their own life and interests. I'm sure she probably has other pictures of your baby (posted on fb or not) so I just don't see the big deal here.

Comments

The blanket was probably more important to her

It's possible she wanted to show it off specifically to a group of crafty friends who aren't very baby loving. It's just Facebook - if she's a loving grandmother otherwise, it doesn't matter. A lot of people get very uppity a website.

Marshmallowjello 22

@#33, also, many of these posts are blown out of proportion, or not explained well. There's more to every story.

amileah13 26

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

That must be a hell of a special blanket!

1 second too late = down vote. Sorry bro...

obliviongillette 18

Get a picture of them together, completely crop her out and post it on Facebook.

1dvs_bstd 41

eye for an eye, that's in the Bible.

mds9986 24

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

That's Hammurabi code from a Babylonian king u turd get it right.

there's a reason why you block your mother in laws on facebook!

glexy 16

Upload the full photo and focus it on your grandchild and hope her friends see it

She's proud about the blanket - let her be. It sounds like she worked hard on it and wants to show what she did. You have to remember that the world doesn't revolve around you and your baby - everyone else has their own life and interests. I'm sure she probably has other pictures of your baby (posted on fb or not) so I just don't see the big deal here.

I can understand her wanting to show off the blanket she made. But why crop your own grandchild, the one who you MADE the blanket for, out of the picture? That's just odd.

Probably because she was posting a picture of the blanket... not the baby. Perhaps it was to her sewing circle who wanted to see the finished product, who knows.

If she "just wanted to show the blanket" then why would she crop the baby out? There was no reason other than the fact that she cared about people seeing the blanket

maybe she didnt want everyone talking about the baby instead of the blanket its not *that* ridiculous

I have some friends that don't like posting pictures of their children on the Internet. It happens. Maybe someone asked specifically about it, so she chose to just highlight the blanket. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, but without context, it's hard to say.

....Exactly. She wanted to show off the blanket not the baby. That was the whole point of cropping the baby out, because not everything is about the baby. Just because she's a Grandmother that doesn't mean that she can't be proud of other things and showcase her accomplishments without talking about the baby.

Maybe she was posting the picture in a public group and didn't want to put the baby out there for anyone and everyone to see? And it says almost completely. Maybe she just cropped off the baby's body or something and left it's head in the picture so it focused on the blanket. There are lots of reasons for this. And not selfish ones. Let the woman be. The person who immediately thinks this is personal and vengeful to them is the one with the personality I question. Not everything is about you.

bkb12 16

If she wanted to show off the blanket so badly, she could've just asked for a picture of the blanket itself.

UniUni 16

It's great that she wants to show off the blanket, and I agree with you, the world doesn't revolve around her, HOWEVER, it is ****** up how she cropped her first grandchild out so I do see the problem with this one

SpartyOnWayne 18

Some people just don't have their priorities straight, I'm sorry OP

She is proud of her craft skills. She has done the child thing already remember. I don't thinking will stop her from being a good grandma.