By Anonymous - 25/04/2015 07:30 - Canada - Delta

Today, I found out the name on my driver's license is incorrect. I don't know what's worse: the fact the government can't even copy a goddamn name correctly, or that it took me three months to notice, when a cop nearly arrested me for carrying a "fake" license. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 535
You deserved it 4 877

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Good coverup. Go to social media. They'll never suspect you of being a double agent.

My name is simple but everywhere I go, if I'm placing an order, or at school my name is spelled incorrectly. Sorry OP hopefully they replace your license for free.

Comments

How would the cop have known your "real" name? That's what the id is for.

Running his plates or whatever they call it, obviously.

Misskreher 30

I have a friend with the last name Fisher and even our school can't spell it correctly. (They spell it Fischer). Just goes to show how dumb some of the human race is.

Attacksloth 33

A few phone calls to various people should clear your name up, if you haven't done that already.

That's why you're supposed to check it all before you leave. Yeah, it's part of their job but you're the last line of defense when it comes to official ids and paperwork. YDI

sammyjanette 17

When I went to get my credentials they asked me to review everything to make sure it was correct. I bet that's common practice, so YDI OP.

What was he comparing ur name to? What if u actually spelled ur name that way, how would he know.

ThePandoricaOpen 18

I don't know why you have so many YDI's, as English is an interesting language, and the human mind is an interesting piece of equipment, sometimes showing you what you expect to see... OP probably did read their ID several times between getting it and now, and their brain just never allowed them to see the mistake.

If op can't catch a mistake on his own name then why should he be mad that someone else spelled it wrong? They see hundreds of variations of the same name every day. Other people manage to make sure their documents are in order.

Depends on whether OP ever actually examined their ID closely enough that you would expect to notice a mistake. I know I've never studied mine that thoroughly. I look at it, sure. But not much. I would assume they spelled it the way I told them to, so I've never really felt the need to inspect it or double check. My ID is for other people to see my name/address/DOB, not for me. I already know those things. So yeah, I can understand not noticing an error for a fair amount of time.

Also, what #33 said about the human mind seeing what it wants or expects to see is completely correct. The mind is very subjective, and if you're expecting something to be a certain way, like your name being spelled correctly, then that is what you will see. Especially when it comes to language. Like if you come across a minor error or typo while reading, generally your brain will just automatically correct it and you won't even notice there was an error, unless you really slow down and specifically look for one. Which OP probably didn't do with their ID, because why would you?

Because it's an important document. People misspell my name all the time and it's not even a commin one so it shouldn't be too hard. When they ask you to check and be sure that it's correct they're trying to make sure their job was done right. If you still don't do it then it's on you. They did their part.