By calgarygal - 23/11/2016 02:53

Today, I found out the little blue thing that my roommate has been sterilizing by boiling in our shared coffee maker, is a menstrual cup. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 661
You deserved it 743

Same thing different taste

Top comments

When I used a menstrual cup, I bought a pot for the sole purpose of sterilizing it. Menstrual blood is not dirty but then again, it's really intimate and it's really understandable that other people might not want to drink from the coffee pot after that

Leviathene 34

Yeah, it is good of her to at least sterilize it, but her implementation definitely needs work. Sterile or not, I wouldn't use it again. You should let her have the shared coffee maker, and get your own after this. Or get a new roomie.

Comments

cheshireau 26

That is foul. Unless you are a vampire than do away with that coffee pot and never let her use your new one ever again.

Does a coffee maker even reach boiling?

Actually that's a good point, if it doesn't then nothing is being sterilised, and that's all kinds of yuck as well as a recipe for bacterial vaginosis...

Most do not, no, and aren't even hot enough to keep themselves mold free. A coffee pot is not the best way to sterilize anything. But I know nothing of menstrual cups, maybe you're not suppose to bring them to a boil? I'd think they'd be silicone and able to withstand high temps.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Most coffee pots don't actually reach water boiling point I think... So, this isn't even sterilizing...

23, you are supposed to boil them. So yeah probably not fixing anything. You can get special steriliser cups though that you can fill with water and put the cup in, then microwave for 5 minutes.

Cups can be dropped into boiling water no problem. They are medical grade silicon, btw.

countryb_cth 38

As gross as it is the water isn't hot enough so it wouldn't be sterile at all. Soo gross

Most cups are silicone, but they do make rubber ones as well. And you are supposed to sterilize them in boiling water between periods.

Your first mistake was letting her "sterilize" anything in a coffee maker.

I think their first mistake was having that person as a roommate honestly.

I use a special mug in the microwave to sterilize mine. The only way the using the coffee maker is appropriate is if she is just pouring water on it.

Does it work well in the microwave? I always use a pot full of water and put the cup into a beater so it doesn't touch the ground.

How does that even come up in conversation? 'Hey roomie what's the thing you always stick in the coffee maker?' 'Oh that's just the cup that catches my detaching uterine lining once a month'

To all the people who seem to think that the coffee maker ist full of blood: You don't put the cup anywhere without washing it off or using some tissue to wipe it off. So you don't actually have blood in the coffee maker, but still the proteins and stuff you can't see.

No matter how well you think you've rinsed it off, there is doubtless some bloody residue on the cup. If you've watched any CSI-type show or read a crime drama, you'll know that it's nearly impossible to eradicate all traces of blood. This probably includes menstrual blood. Even so, I wouldn't want a menstrual cup being sterilized in a coffee maker from which I drink!

As a woman who uses the cup, that's disgusting. I would seriously smack her.

GrapeJuice67 17

That's disgusting and unsanitary. EW. EW. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WHY

Oh my god, kick her out! That is disgusting and really inconsiderate!