By nonameLiz - 03/02/2010 01:16 - United States

Today, I found out that you can get arrested for holding up a 'free hugs' sign. FML
I agree, your life sucks 433
You deserved it 109

Comments

ambrz 0

No you can't. If you actually were arrested, you probably have a good case if you brought it to court, but I suspect this is fake.

Depending on where the OP was with said sign, it could've happened.

This is entirely possible. For example, this can't be done at Otakon in Baltimore, as it is considered soliciting sexual favors.

lol, that is so true. But when I was there last year, I think I saw someone with a sign, and nobody did anything... :/ (epic bag pipes~!)

That would not hold in court. There is a legal definition to sexual, and it's very specific that a hug can't be considered sexual. They can make a law saying free hugs are considered sexual solicitation, but if you went to court for this and gave them the definition of sexual, the judge would be forced to clear you of all charges. Ha. I should know, I'm a lawyer.

True, it won't hold in court but it's still the rules of the convention...that's just the way things are. You pay for them to have the convention and you abide by their rules. If you don't like them, don't come. :P

randall_doak 4

You're a lawyer? Then FYL for even being on here man...... You must not be a very good one, not busy enough to have better shit to do than jump on here? How many clients do you have? 2?

YDI for living in USA with stupid laws:D

hey hey. don't bring that into this man. USA isn't that bad. have you ever lived here to say something like that ? : )

I can't say I have, but even you must admit that USA has some pretty durn ridiculous laws, no... then again do do all countries, such as 250$ fine in Canada for walking across the wrong part of the street...

that's called jaywalking, and the fine is there because dipshits get killed all the time. I think something like 20-25 people got hit by cars and killed/seriously injured in January alone for crossing at the wrong parts of the street in Toronto.

Maybe you need common sense instead of laws. "Hurr durr, car coming? Better not cross" "Hmm, no car coming better cross before one does" *Fined* and for what? For crossing in the wrong part of a street where no car is coming? Get ******* real. The law should only apply to people incapable of rational though.

lolsan 0

I've lived in the US and I agree o_o

#59, OBVIOUSLY the law is there to discourage people to cross at the wrong place at all. Don't be ignorant, it's ALWAYS risky. Sometimes it's difficult to see a car coming from certain angles. Accidents happen. We shouldn't get rid of this law so people with "common sense" can be spared. Seriously, it's just downright LAZY people that are subjected to this law. It is NOT that hard to walk down a street or two to find a safe crosswalk. And don't bother arguing that some people don't have the time, might bus their bus, etc. because walking down a street is definitely worth not being hit by a car IMO.

Well if you were relatively smart and checked both ways and weren't on a corner/T-junction etc just an empty street then you're safe. Nothing will change my mind. I've never been hit by a car. Why? Luck? Hell no, it's because I'm smart and I know how to play it safe. I don't need some bullshit law in place so cops can harrass me, I know when to cross and when not to cross. And don't bother with "oh if you got hit by a car you'd be more mindful". The only time I'll be hit by a car is when I'm forced onto the road by anything other than my own will.

Ok stop for one minute and think of it this way. I'm coming into this as a neutral party. I jay walk, I admit it. It would be easier if people had the common sense on if you're going to jay walk, do it in a situation where you're not going to be hit. But that's just naïve to think that everyone will. people can be distracted, or they might not notice something or any number of reasons. And it's easier to make a law as a whole. I mean, can you imagine the law being "You can't jay walk.* $250 fine." *This is excluded if the street is empty, the person ran really fast so they wouldn't be hit, the person checked both ways first, it wasn't on a corner or intersection, etc" It's a general rule to save lives. Saying you shouldn't have a law cause people should have common sense to do it properly. That's like saying speeding shouldn't be illegal because people should have the common sense to only speed when nothing wrong will happen, or drink driving. The road is a dangerous place. Accidents happen. You jay walk across an empty street, you trip, sprain your ankle, someone comes speeding along, picking up the cd they dropped on the passenger floor, they don't see you, you can't get up in time to get out of the way cause of your ankle, you get hit and die. Come on, it's ignorant to think that a series of events like that wouldn't happen, they can and they do. The laws there to discourage people from doing it, so stuff like that doesn't happen. Jay walking doesn't ALWAYS end in disaster, but neither does speeding and drink driving. More often than not, in all 3 cases, nothing happens. At all. But it's the risk of it happening, and the times that it does happen that makes the law worth having.

That's a very convoluted series of events. If a few people get hit, accidents happen, we can't live in a danger free society, true there's a risk but every time you open the front door you take a risk. You need to know that. I'm just glad my country isn't a total police state yet. When it is I think I'll just have to take my own life, I can't live in a place like America and England is emulating it more and more all the time. So I'm gonna cross when I want to while I still can. I'm more pissed off that the Law has decided to tell me more and more what I can and can't do. Telling me I can only cross the street in certain places is only the beginning.

damnrosi 0

think the law may have something to do with protecting motorists as well. If someone crosses the street where it is not safe to (or cuts out between parked cars, YES THATS DIRECTED TO YOU, YOU DAMN IGNORANT BIKERS IN TORONTO, YOU'RE EITHER A PEDESTRIAN OR A VEHICLE! NOT BOTH! AND I DON'T CARE IF YOUR "HELPING THE ENVIRONMENT" GOOD FOR YOU NOW GET THE HELL OUT OF THE DAMN WAY!), anyways, they could technically sue if they are hit by a car. This way, they are breaking the law, they are not allowed to cross except at cross walks, and if they suddenly DO step out without looking it is thier fault, and the innnocent (or not so innocent) driver is not to blame (they could be to blame otherwise).

I like people who drive between lanes in cars. I like to open my door. ^_^

KayBizz 0

poor guy.. there's free hugs in jail tho :)

brzajm 0

omg Jordan E is that you?! Cause when i saw you in walmart today you said u were making a sign saying free hugs.. ?

OH MY GOD IT MUST BE CUZ WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF SOMEONE DOING THAT, AND THEN YOU SEEING IT ON FML? LIKE NONE I WOULD THINK. NEVERMIND THE FACT THAT THE OP'S NAME IS LIZ, THATS DEFINITELY SOMETHING JORDAN E WOULD DO, THAT CRAZY GUY.

Veritas143 0

2 zero I like you.. Slight over kill but you got the job done

you should be punched right in your dick lips, I ******* hate when people do that stupid shit. 

You, sir, are a douche. Free hugs is a really kind thing to do ^^

CableFrog 3
ipooprainbows 0

yep, 'all the same' by sick puppies. good song, cute video :)

qwertyt 0

**** the police. Most of them are pigs. They abuse their power.

More like that's what gangbangers love to repeat, huh?

Mac10nikka 0

omg Jordan th is you hahaha lol........

I did the same thing. but didn't get arrested for it. I did get a lot of weird looks for holding one tho. 

jacksally88 0

Why would u want to stand out holding this sign????

b/c there's a national free hug day. and it's just supposed to cheer people up if they're havin a bad day by simply giving them a hug. I did it with my school so I didn't look like a total idiot holding a free hug sign. 

In order to give people hugs, of course! Hugs are good. ^_^