This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By stripperless - 30/12/2016 01:49

Today I found out that my deceased SO didnt just leave me pregnant he also knocked up one of his favorite prostitutes and now she is demanding money FML
I agree, your life sucks 700
You deserved it 52

Top comments

monyluv1 13

DNA test. If she's a prostitute, I highly doubt she's 100% sure of WHOSE child it may be.

OP, you might want to get tested for STDs and STIs. If the sex worker's child really is your late SO's kid, he might have caught something and passed it on. I don't know how treatment would work if you did, but if you have one it could make your pregnancy high-risk where your fetus needs monitored for abnormalities and a potential need for a cesarean birth if you caught certain STDs or STIs. I also back the "get DNA testing" thing. I also suggest, if the other baby is your late SO's, that you talk with a lawyer about setting it up so the money owed to the kid's living expenses actually gets spent on the kids living expenses. They shouldn't pay the price for it. Plus, if it goes into a care fund designated specifically for the kid, the sex worker can't collect the money and then adopt out or use any similar tactics. Hopefully the whole thing is bullshit and its an attempt at a scam, but better safe than sorry on both counts.

Comments

I thought prostitutes were required to be more careful than that?

Sex work is illegal and thus unregulated in many countries. The only degree of caution is what the worker chooses to exercise as a result.

Demanding money as in child support? Or just demanding money in general? Either way, she has no ground to stand on, your SO is dead, she can't get child support from you as you have no connection to that kid. If she's just demanding money, report her to the cops for harrassment. I find this a little suspicious. She's a prostitute, unless it was verified by DNA testing, I wouldn't just take her word for it that the baby is your deceased SO's.

She's probably demanding money from the deceased estate, which OP would have been entitled to 100% for raising his child. Now they'll likely get half each if both children are legitimate.

Actually no, that's wrong. Your children are not entitled to half your estate unless you specifically design your will that way. An estate will always go to your SO, if you're married, or if your will outlines it. If you're not married and have no legal documents outlining your estate, it will go to your next of kin or family (mother, father, siblings). This prostitute and the baby are entitled to nothing.

Depends where you live. Here, the prostitute wouldn't be entitled to anything but the kid would be. So, OP would get half, and each of the kids would get 1/4. Though, the parts for the kids would need to be secured for them until their 18th Birthdays, so the prostitute wouldn't be able to touch that money.

Wills are valid when no one has any legal claim to the money, but they don't trump claims explicitly allowed by law. If you get someone pregnant, courts can generally order you to pay what they determine to be reasonable child support. If you die, your estate is subject to the same claim, irrespective of what your will might call for. Your will is preempted. If OP was married, it's possible the prostitute might have a claim against the property of the marriage as well as the estate. This could get very ugly in that case. Either way, any money should be part of a court settlement, and only after paternity is firmly established.

I would contact a lawyer right away and figure out what you need to do it ensure she does not take advantage of you and to secure anything your SO left to you.

monyluv1 13

DNA test. If she's a prostitute, I highly doubt she's 100% sure of WHOSE child it may be.

She might have a claim to anything he left to her, or common property acquired while they were together (especially if they were married).

OP, you might want to get tested for STDs and STIs. If the sex worker's child really is your late SO's kid, he might have caught something and passed it on. I don't know how treatment would work if you did, but if you have one it could make your pregnancy high-risk where your fetus needs monitored for abnormalities and a potential need for a cesarean birth if you caught certain STDs or STIs. I also back the "get DNA testing" thing. I also suggest, if the other baby is your late SO's, that you talk with a lawyer about setting it up so the money owed to the kid's living expenses actually gets spent on the kids living expenses. They shouldn't pay the price for it. Plus, if it goes into a care fund designated specifically for the kid, the sex worker can't collect the money and then adopt out or use any similar tactics. Hopefully the whole thing is bullshit and its an attempt at a scam, but better safe than sorry on both counts.