By taxed - 02/02/2010 13:00 - United States

Today, I found out that I owe the IRS money due to my previous job not taking enough taxes out. I am broke, unemployed, and was counting on a big refund so I could pay for my divorce. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 025
You deserved it 4 947

Same thing different taste

Top comments

pepetto 0

Seriously--it is not your employers responsibility to take out "enough" taxes for you. Thats all on your shoulders!! When you get a check, you should always look at how much federal/state is being withheld. If there is too much, or not enough, it is YOUR responsibility to fill out a new W4 form to adjust it. Part-time jobs rarely withhold enough taxes, even if you have several part time jobs. The government views each job as your only job, and pretty much gives you your entire wage. You need to withhold an additional $5-10 per check with part-time jobs if you don't want to pay in.

Comments

if you are in the US, then YDI. You fill out the W-4 form that determines how much to withhold.

WorkThatButt 2

I hope you survive, I really do :( ...

Waaah! I didn't take care of my own business, waaah! My employer didn't take care of my business for me, waaaah! The government actually expects me to pay some small amount of taxes, waaah! YDI. Take responsibility for yourself. Or was that your soon-to-be-ex's job?

pendulum2012 0

Why do you come on a website that's specifically about complaining just to bitch about someone complaining?

But complaining about someone complaining about a complaint on a site for people complaining is ok? Is that like a double negative?

Some people (like my own family) have family help. They can't always control it. Don't be so rude.

since you weren't getting screwed at home, they thought they'd help. ky might help.

badbowtie 0

That's the problem with today's society, " due to my previous job not taking out enough taxes", why the hell is it their responsibility to take care of YOUR business? You're the one who filled out the form telling them your withholdings, so it's YOUR fault. Quit blaming everyone else. You probably voted for that joke Obama because he wants to steal from me to take care of you. Get a clue, a job, and a life you leech. Quit pawning your irresponsibilty on everyone else.

badbowtie 0

Because I believe in taking care of MY business?

awww, it's so cute, the troll thinks Obama is stealing from him/her to give to the lazy! That's just the cutest thing I've seen all day, another teabagger saying dumb stuff

Actually if they make over a certain amount of money, then Obama is stealing their money and giving it to the people who are to lazy/unable to work. So basically if you're a hard-working individual and smart with your money, they're going to take your money and give it to someone who won't work. Thanks a lot Obama for screwing us over.

How are they doing ANY of that? Because everything I've seen, heard, or learned about the people who were "responsible with money" played hard and fast with the markets and directly led us to this scenario. Isn't it weird that from the 40s-80s we didn't have a significant economic downturn of any kind, and the tax rate was above 50%? Man that's weird and CRAAAAAZY.

gatorgrl1988 0

i work at h and r block. we get people like u all day. there is a program the government has and they help u with the divorce. contact your local court house. oh and FYL

did you know with my wife and I and a dependent child,we had to pay. and we both claimed single with 0 dependents.

next time mark Zero dependents on ur W4 to make sure enough is taken out!

perdix 29

Wow, you are going to get ****** by your husband, several lawyers, the system and the IRS. If you sell tickets to watch this gang bang, you'll come out ahead!

TryToBeKind 0

Well, that's OK because when you were working, you'd saved up 25% of your income for emergencies such as this one. Right? If you haven't, then FYL and YDI. Seriously, be prepared and pay attention to your paychecks and taxes next time, geez