This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By Me - 18/12/2016 18:37 - United States - Cypress

Today, I found out that I have asthma and VCD, two breathing disorders that counteract each other and cause me to choke on my own air. Not only that, but I am allergic to albuterol sulfate, an ingredient in every inhaler and asthma medicine. I am a competitive gymnast AND a travel soccer player. FML
I agree, your life sucks 374
You deserved it 18

Top comments

Ask about the advair discus- it apparently doesn't have albuterol sulfate in it. Of course, ask your doctor for confirmation and ask for a trial. If you do go on it, rinse your mouth out after use or you can wind up with yeast or thrush infections in your mouth, which sounds unpleasant.

Comments

I think the word you meant to say was "compound" instead of "counteract", since VCD makes asthma worse instead of better. The good news is there are a few albuterol-free medications for asthma. The bad news is that VCD is only treated by speech therapy, deep breathing exercises, and avoiding triggers (like strenuous exercise). So you'll probably have to at least give up soccer and devote that free time to VCD therapy. But there's hope to stay in gymnastics.

You may not have asthma: many people get diagnosed with asthma and VCD when they only have VCD. Find a speech-language pathologist who specializes in VCD and get treatment...you will see results within a month (and I know from experience working with pro athletes that you can continue your athletic activities while getting treated for VCD).

Ask about the advair discus- it apparently doesn't have albuterol sulfate in it. Of course, ask your doctor for confirmation and ask for a trial. If you do go on it, rinse your mouth out after use or you can wind up with yeast or thrush infections in your mouth, which sounds unpleasant.