By nicktrelos - 27/01/2015 14:07 - Greece

Today, I found out my girlfriend is bulimic. Like that wasn't bad enough, I found out because she spent all of our rent money on food. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 078
You deserved it 3 702

nicktrelos tells us more.

I'm not making it about myself - I'm not happy with the money loss, of course, but 350€ is nothing compared to how much I care. I meant it in a "that's devastating, and this sucks too" way if that makes sense? Thank you all so much for your support. We've been together for years, and she's my best friend in the world. It's hard to believe I never noticed the signs. The rent will be taken care of, right now getting her help is the most important thing :) I'm going to support her every step of the way. I've been learning about eating disorders all weekend (event was actually from Friday), and I can say for sure it wasn't a matter of being selfish. She's sick. That's not her fault, it's everyone else's for making her feel worthless. You're all incredibly sweet! A bit sour about the jokes, but that's okay, haha. I never take anything seriously myself. We can get through this :)

Top comments

amelitaliz 22

She needs help and sensitivity right now. Poor thing. Sorry you have to go through this, OP!

Hiimhaileypotter 52

I hope she gets help :( bulimia is very unhealthy. I feel bad for both of you. One of my best friends is recovering from anorexia so I know how difficult it can be.

Comments

HighasaCloud 46

I know bulimia is serious and I know what she's going through. I may not ever have been bulimic but I used to abuse laxatives for the same purposes. It was very unhealthy and I was robbing my body of necessary vitamins. Stopping was painful as I got accustomed to them. Nowadays, I laugh about it. This site used to be about insensitivity, cracking jokes, and laughing at others' misfortune. What in hell happened? Someone makes a joke and everyone's on his ass "not cool" "this is serious" "poor taste, dude." Too many whiny, self-righteous pansies joined this site.

Awww I'm sorry OP :( I've suffered with anorexia and bulimia for almost 12 years now, so I can totally relate. Bulimia is embarrassingly expensive, I can't tell you how many times I chose binge/purge food over important things like school and rent. Please get her help, it's a life-threatening illness that needs immediate attention. If it has gone that far then she needs to be hospitalized, and at the minimum in therapy. But I can't tell you enough how important it is that you get her this help, when a person is that far with their disorder they can't get out without it. She could die. I went into cardiac arrest after 4 years with an eating disorder, and you never know when something like that could happen. I wish you and your girlfriend luck! & to those people making jokes, it's not even close to funny -_-

Its posted on a website thats suppose to be funny, I cant stand when people have to make it all serious

Yeah 27, because this FML isn't serious AT ALL. -.-

i guess we should all just give them advice then

I understand that, however there are some things, no matter where they're posted, that shouldn't be taken lightly or made fun of. If someone posted, "today, I found out I have terminal cancer. FML" does that warrant a joke? It doesn't matter that OP posted about someone else, bulimia kills.

******* thank you, #36. If you "can't stand it," #27, then don't peruse the comments of FMLs that are about mental illness, life-threatening physical illness, loss of life, etc. This is not a difficult concept. YDI for expecting the entire world to cater to your disturbed sense of humor, or lack thereof.

Though I agree it's not really a joke subject, is like to point out that the intent of FML is to make people laugh, chuckle, or just go "Wow." A post like "today I was diagnosed with terminal cancer" wouldn't be posted because FML isn't an advice or sympathy site.

I would definitely make a joke about terminal cancer. Probably something along the lines of 'At least it wasn't a gemini. Those ******* will get you twice!'

#39 Some of these jokes are really inappropriate, but I think you are taking this really far. Everyone here comes onto FML to have a good laugh or make someone else laugh. They aren't here to be assholes and make fun of people's illnesses. People are making these jokes to make this into light hearted fun. It is an illness and it's kinda messed up they are joking about it, but I don't think they expect people to take it so seriously.

#55, I didn't realise terminal cancer was something to joke about. I must have missed the memo.

xninix_fml 36

Wtf..how would that help? Op please get her help.

Wow that's terrible OP, I hope she gets help.

Psycho_Babydoll 26

I really hope that you're more concerned over her health (and potentially her life) than the lost rent money. Bulimia is ghastly. My thoughts are with her.

I've been through the same eating disorder and I can tell you first hand it's one of the hardest things and can even become and addiction.. She's needs your full support don't be negative towards it otherwise it'll hurt her more

Wow. Poor you. This is all about you right now. F YOUR life for sure. Forget about your mentally ill girlfriend. In all seriousness, this FML comes across pretty self centred but I hope OP is being sensitive and supportive to their girlfriend right now. This stuff is hard.

no matter how sick someone is I'd be pissed if they spent all my rent money.

She needs you more than ever. Don't leave her now because of money. She did it because she's ill, not because she's a bad person (I believe she's not).

"Dump her" became she's sick? Wow that's nice *sarcasm*......

#38 not becasue she's sick, but becasue she spent all the money on food. I am sick of people using ''sick'' as excuses to do stupid things. Hey I just murdered 50 people becasue I have Ebola..

amberv61 22

#82 I'm fairly certain you don't know what you are talking about. Mental illness and physical illnesses are two very different things. Mental illness can blur out logical thinking. Physical illness just makes you feel sick. Even then no one would have the strength to kill 50 people if they have reached the symptom point of Ebola.