By Anonymous - 11/05/2016 15:53 - United States - Franklin

Today, I found out I owe the IRS over $2,000 because of a mistake they made. Their "apology" basically amounted to "Oops, our bad. Now pay up or you're gonna be Bubba's new bitch." FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 581
You deserved it 1 330

Same thing different taste

Top comments

'Murica. Land of the free and home of the oversized ***** we call the IRS.

The IRS is the single greatest thing to ever oppress a human population so completely without the humans being aware it is happening

Comments

Are you sure it isn't the IRS Scam that is going around?

kellyem2 20

Probably a good thing to check out. Remember, the IRS will only ever contact you in writing. So if you get a phone call from someone claiming to be an IRS agent, just hang up.

Could be possible. I got a call from the "IRS" like a month after I paid my taxes (in full) that they were filing a lawsuit against me. "They" also called my dad last year trying the same thing.

Call a lawyer and get it straightened out!

lawyer costs more then $2000 so don't !

they won't send you to jail but eventually they will place a tax levy on your bank accounts. I've seen tax levies for 10 times that amount on people's bank accounts

Make sure it's not a scam, if it was a letter odds are it wasn't, but call the IRS just in case

Ms_Monster 6

that happened to my mom and me. they overpaid her ~$2000 ssi money that she was receiving for me because my dad was on disability, and they wanted her to pay it back. so when i started working, since its under my name (i guess?) they kept my tax refund on my first year of work but didn't keep my refund from last year. even though i only was supposed to get ~$400 the first year and got like $800 on my second year.

I Called out the IRS on a mistake they made for this years taxes and within 30 days I got a refund in the amount of the mistake!!! I did provide proof of their mistake, and they did not argue one bit, they apologized and said you will be getting your money back, it was our error!

GreatAmerican 7

The IRS is known to abuse their power. Better get a lawyer.

I find it funny how ordinary people get in big trouble for this stuff, but when it's a corporation skipping out on millions they get penalized with a fraction of the cost and skip away free.

Be careful. There is a scam saying the same exact thing. if the original contact was not by letter, odds are, it's the scam.

That honestly sounds more like a scam than anything. If this is truly the IRS and it's a mistake of charging you on something you didn't owe then you wouldn't have to pay it back. I'd talk to a lawyer if I were you.