By itwasalongnight - 02/02/2014 11:32

Today, I finally received the last check from my insurance company after my house flooded 10 months ago. Tonight my house flooded again. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 304
You deserved it 4 298

itwasalongnight tells us more.

OP here. First of all: Yay! It got published! Second to those who say I deserve it or should move: I own my condo, so not able to move at this point. I do not live in a flood zone or swamp. Both floods have been sewage backups from blockages at least 150 feet from my condo. The one 10 months ago happened while I was at work--that was a disaster. This time my neighbors flooded (badly) on both sides. Water from one neighbor came under our shared wall. Not too bad this time and I was able to get the clean out cap off outside right away so it flowed into my backyard instead of my house. Truly an awful experience to be sure. I thank my lucky stars that I opted to cancel my plans and stay home and watch a movie... Otherwise it would have been at least as bad as last time. I'll admit... I'm afraid to put that clean clean out cap back on!

Top comments

Comments

olpally 32

Time to move, that's ridiculous.

damnit1989 16

Fyl and ydi.... You should've moved after the last time. That sucks, definitely, but ydi for staying there

StompinOnCrayons 15

But, don't you usually know before buying whether the house is in a red, amber or green floodzone ? And usually flooded houses in high risk areas are extremely hard to sell on, so it could be a while until OP can move

nightowl713 25

#15, not every house flood is caused by natural flooding. Pipes burst and flood homes all the time. If that is the case, I'm sure they thought the problem was over when it was fixed last time. Homes on the beach are at a seriously high risk for flooding all the time, they are aware of the possible consequences, they deal, rebuild and live happily if/until the next time. Moving isn't always the answer.

Maybe Op REALLY loves the location. There is a guy in Moore that has had a tornado destroy his house three times (the last one was the huge tornado last year) and he plans on rebuilding a fourth.

buttcramp 21

if a realtor wants to make a sale, they'll tip toe around the fact that the neighborhood is prone to flooding. yes, OP should have done some research and bought insurance accordingly but this FML is about shitty insurance not the house itself (at least that's how I interpreted it)

The sewer backed up... No swamp here! Not in a flood zone either.

Oh the irony. Well, third times a charm OP.

Allow me to be delicate...bitch that ain't irony. It's a coincidence!

StompinOnCrayons 15

I hope you and your family are ok. Hopefully they'll pay out again ?

JMichael 25

Guess you're not allowed to win in anything OP.

Put it on stilts? Not the cheapest option, but neither is annually replacing all the belongings in your house. That is, unless it was a busted pipe…

you should use the insurance money to move somewhere else.

Time to look at new houses... Good luck OP.