By blackonblight - 11/11/2015 11:23 - United States - Dover

Today, I finally overcame depression-induced writer's block. I was typing at a good speed and before I knew it had over a thousand words that I was reasonably proud of. Then I woke up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 106
You deserved it 1 941

blackonblight tells us more.

Hey guys. Sadly, the only things that stayed with me were a snippet of dialogue, entirely out of context. Like most dreams, it was more the idea of writing that was played out for me, the movie scene version. I felt the pride, the mental exertion, but chances are the dream didn't have any real writing in it. Just that word count at the top and the line "Those eyes looked in on me and all I was. They saw me, and they saw nothing. So now, they will see nothing. Forever." And the resulting crash from discovering it was all a dream is actually worse than the block itself. I'm not giving up, not by a long shot, but I doubt I'll be getting that story back, if it ever existed. But hey, I got an FML out of it!

Top comments

Hiimhaileypotter 52

Now you have inspiration. You can do it. Sit and write. No matter how horrible it is, you can always go back and edit. :) I have this problem a lot (not having inspiration/not being able to write what I want to). I also have depression so I know how that feels! I keep a journal by my bed and often wake up in the middle of the night to write plot ideas, words, or names for characters down to inspire me in the morning. Maybe that's something you could try.

and then Harry woke up in his bed under the stairs

Comments

dman798 18

Use that to motivate you. You know you can do it now

and then Harry woke up in his bed under the stairs

chrisbeaudoin 26

I'm pretty sure it's than he woke up in his *cupboard*

Now you just have to remember what you wrote :)

CloudKumo 12

Actually, words aren't consistent in dreams; but if he could remember the topic...

This all could've been avoided if your keyboard was also your totem. You would've known you were dreaming as soon as you started writing.

Plot Twist: OP isn't even a writer, and is still dreaming

qwertycode 19

but... if OP is dreaming... and s/he was still dreaming as they wrote and got this FML published, and we were all here to see it... does that mean WE'RE dreaming as well? are we all just in a coma???

As a fellow writer (I think there's an FML about it somewhere on here haha), I know the feeling. Writer's block can go suck a dick.

I guess that's your subconscious trying to tell you that you can do it. you know you can do it. depression sucks. even though you might feel like you're drowning, even when it's all dark. you have to keep moving forward. might as well type up an epic story while at it.

That sucks. I don't even know what to even say....... guess we both have a little writer's block, huh?

amileah13 26

Ah man. I know how that feels. Hey, you've got material to work with now though! Hopefully if you've remembered the dream because there's times that I have great ideas while I sleep and then forget them by morning good luck op!

Maybe if you don't think so hard about your writer's block your stress level will go down. Stress only worsens depression. Take the time to do something fun, relaxing. It might cheer you up and help you get over it.

Hahaha. I'm a heavily medicated agoraphobic with generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks, an autism spectrum disorder, and various other health issues. Stress is a much a part of me as my digestive system. I think some of my muscles haven't relaxed since I was 12.