By Hobbits&LiarsOhMy! - 24/04/2017 11:06 - United States - Nacogdoches

Today, I finally met the cute guy that I've been talking to for the last 3 weeks. Turns out "5'8"" was a really big exaggeration for "5"3' in boots'. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 907
You deserved it 1 425

SunDown2015 tells us more.

I'm the OP. So, let's be clear: I'm "5'6" and height isn't a big deal for me. What was important to me was that he lied. He also showed up to our meeting stoned off his ass, and then proceeded to throw a muddy basketball at me (which got all over my new shirt). Definitely not Prince Charming. I got out of there ASAP! I guess online dating just isn't my cup of tea. Thanks for the FML though! :)

Top comments

AzrielB 8

He meant 5' 8" as two separate measurements ;)

The issue is he lied about something so stupid. What is stopping from lying about something more serious? And I am 5'9" and have never been able to date a guy shorter than me. And that is fine. It is called personal preference.

Comments

Who wants to bet the OP's problem with dishonesty would have mysteriously vanished if he'd been five inches taller than he previously said?

I feel ya, as a 5'10' woman dating guys that are shorter than me is difficult. Hell im divorced from someone whos shorter than I. It shouldnt matter but it does....

I feel ya, as a 5'10' woman dating guys that are shorter than me is difficult. Hell im divorced from someone whos shorter than I. It shouldnt matter but it does....

I feel bad for the guy for feeling like he had to lie in the first place and he should not have done that but I feel even more sorry for him that his height was a big deal to you.

I bet you think this song is about you.

Is he as cute as on the photo, at least? Six inches less is no deal breaker, but if he substracted thirty pounds as well, added hair with Photoshop or put Tom Cruise's photo as his profile picture, that's a problem.

bobsanction 18

Men lie about their height like women lie about their weight, age, and their sanity.

Correction: "Men lie about their height, intelligence, sexual prowess, fitness/athletic ability..."

I'm the OP. So, let's be clear: I'm "5'6" and height isn't a big deal for me. What was important to me was that he lied. He also showed up to our meeting stoned off his ass, and then proceeded to throw a muddy basketball at me (which got all over my new shirt). Definitely not Prince Charming. I got out of there ASAP! I guess online dating just isn't my cup of tea. Thanks for the FML though! :)

species4872 19

If you were clear in the first place rather then focusing only in the height thing you wouldn't have had so many negative comments. Clearly you did see beyond the height thing and found nothing worthwhile, Try again or try something different.

It sounds like his height was the least of his "shortcomings". Thanks for the follow-up!

Those other reasons are much more legit ones for rejecting him. Please answer this honestly: Would you have gone out with him in the first place if he told you his true height from the get-go?

You don't have to put up with lying. That's the short and tall of it.

That's what I initially thought. Everyone who was given you shit about it has probably turned someone down over something that others might not think is too bad. Height is a big deal for a lot of people for various reasons.