By dragonfyre73 - 07/01/2015 00:32 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I finally met my long-distance boyfriend of three years for the first time in person. After an amazing dinner and movie date, we went back to his house, only for him to dump me half an hour later. Not because I wouldn't have sex with him. No, his cat doesn't like me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 021
You deserved it 8 459

dragonfyre73 tells us more.

OP here, as for all of you asking how we went three years without meeting each other, we meet in an online chatroom and became close friends. we knew each for about a year and a half before he asked me out. I was dubious as to how such a relationship would work, but it actually worked remarkably well. I personally am not the biggest fan of people or of physical contact, so having a boyfriend with whom I could only talk worked wonderfully for me. We did want to meet up in person sooner, but the travel costs along with more than a few family disagreements about the relation kinda made that a little bit difficult. We actually got back together later in my stay and he says that it was a joke. considering that he's always had an awful sense of humor, it really doesn't surprise me. I just wish that he'd been just a /touch/ more considerate. As it turns our, he had realized that he'd left the ring box on his bedside table and wanted to keep the proposal secret so yeah.

Top comments

IAmzephyr 22

if you ask me that was probably some excuse. if not, you probably dodged a bullet

Comments

Well, it seems that it wasn't a real relationship after all. Lame excuse to dump somebody.

kayteakay 26

A cat being the deciding factor is what makes it not real.

After three years the cat's what made the final decision? He either has a creepy connection to his cat or that was just an excuse he used. Either way that sucks, hope the next guy works out

tchatter 7

Rule #1 of LDRs: Don't start a long distance relationship with someone you've never met in person!

Never get into an LDR with someone that won't webchat with you at least!

I was in a 2 year LDR, met my boyfriend last summer, and now we're engaged. So, sometimes, it works out..(:

Congrats 51! That's where me and my LDR boyfriend hope to head and we've met once so far after dating a year. Almost at two years :)

I'm currently in a 3 year LDR, and we didn't meet until a year and a half into our relationship. And we were friends for a year before we became a couple. So no, you don't need to meet someone irl before trying to be in a relationship with them imo. Not everyone on the internet is a creep :)

bluebluhblou 15

you weren't catfished, but the cat thought you were fishy.

I have to wonder why this was the first time you've met him if you've "been together" for three years. It sounds to me like he just wanted an excuse to get rid of you.

SauceySarah 30

He threw away three years of a relationship because his cat supposedly didn't like you? That's total bullshit and such an asshole move.

I don't think he was ever with her in the first place... At least not on his side of the equation. She was probably just somebody to keep him company those three years, and when it came time for the real deal he needed to get rid of her. I know that's pretty shitty but this is the first time they met after 3 years, and he immediately ends it because of the cat. Gtfo!

To be honest I'd be very grateful he ended the relationship there, whatever stupid excuse he used. It must be hard to know for sure how you feel about your partner if you've never even met them, so if he realised it wasn't right it was better to stop things right away.

Why the **** would you date someone for 3 years that you've never met?!