By Anonymous - 25/04/2016 16:03 - United States - New York

Today, I finally got to meet the new Director of my department. She was my intern eight years ago, the one I declined to recommend for a full time position due to interpersonal conflicts. She knows. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 028
You deserved it 5 566

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Hopefully she'll act professionally and not put that against you

Comments

I guess that it's time to look for a new job.

If she fires you for that, she should be fired. If she mistreats you, ask a coworker to call her out on it.

nityasomaiya 46

I'm so proud of her rn. You could have been promoted too OP and wouldn't have been in this position. She just happened to work harder.

Gotta say YDI on this one! It sounds like she is talented and capable or she wouldn't have got the job. That makes you prior attempt to kill her career there sound like an abuse of your position or an attitude problem on your part. You better hope she is more understanding than you were - Because karma has got you by the short hairs.

I don't see why people are thinking OP tried to sabotage her career, or even think that she was a good employee eight years ago. It's probably best to take it at face value: eight years ago, she had poor interpersonal skills, and OP (as her supervisor) felt she wasn't ready for a full time position. In the time since her internship, she worked on those areas, grew as an employee/person and got a leadership job. It's pretty straight forward. No karma, no ulterior motives, no sabotage, just an awkward situation that (hopefully) two professional adults can handle.

Weird. Its almost like you used common sense to figure out a basic scenerio. Without assuming and making up points.... to bad your attributes arent contagious. Just imagine the possibilities and raised iq's if they were. *sigh*

It's sad but it's probably too much to hope for #28. And #18 I think you hit the nail on the head. I'd even go as far as saying that the former intern used the rejection as motivation to improve in those areas which then lead to where she is.

There is no statute of limitations on being a dick...

Aerobic_Exorcism 13

Is it just me or was "FYL" and "YDI" better? Sorry FML staff; I know it's unrelated to the post, but I simply don't like this part of the update.

Wow this new interface is shit. Looks like I'm quitting FML.

lifegavemelemonz 4

Serves you right OP. Hope she treats you as you treated her!

Guess you're not getting promoted anytime soon.