By sadface - 18/08/2011 00:23 - Canada

Today, I finally got over the knee injury that has been holding back my military application for 6 months. They sent me to the optometrist, who said my eyes were too bad for service. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 790
You deserved it 3 107

Same thing different taste

Top comments

juliaaalove 8

I think this is fate.. Hey but at least you were willing to fight for your country! That itself is amazingly honorable :)

morganrules123 10

At least you know that you need glasses now

Comments

I'm so sorry I feel your pain. I'm trying to lose 80 something pounds to he eligible for Marimr Corps Boot Camp. Is laser eye surgery an option?

It is possible but he would have to pay for it himself since he is not in the service the military wont pay for it. Also if he is planning on going into a combat MOS he would have to change his job after about 6 years after the surgery.

At least your knee is better. See what you can do about glasses.

Be grateful you dont have to get shot at now.

That really sucks man. For those who say just wear contacts shut up. You are not allowed to wear contacts in a combat zone. The heat I'm the middle east can potentially melt the contact lense to your eye. Also the sand would sucks ass. Source: myself a current army soldier.

The burning trash doesn't help either. :D

What do you know, the military is actually checking applicants for ailments now. That's a big improvement. It's very honorable of you to want to serve. I do have to mention that, typically, the military does pay for corrective surgery. In BCT (in the Army, anyway), they would have probably given you "BCGs" [birth-control glasses], ridiculous, oversized glasses that earn their moniker. That said, what branch were you trying to join?

ColaBoy 5

Ahh... but by keeping out the poor sighted it may, just may, reduce the number of incidents with friendlies.

The military will only pay for corrective surgery after you are MOS qualified. Also some combat MOS have a stricter standard when it comes to things like eye sight, you have to be able to function somewhat if your glasses happen to break or get lost in a combat situation. Last I checked if you get the laser eye surgery the surgery is only "good" for a few years after that, I was thinking about getting it but they said i would have to change my MOS after about 6 years if I wanted to stay in the service. The best thing to do is get the surgery if you are getting ready to get discharged or are planing on going into a non-combat MOS.

Ah, 89Delta, I agree. That explains why they always give you the BCGs in BCT. And yes, in most combat arms MOSs, you need to be able to see decently without glasses because it affects marksmanship and presents a safety hazard (though saying the word "safety" in the Army can be a somewhat contradictory statement).

Tell me about it i'm currently serving in the US army as an EOD technician and i know how "safety" works in the army.

Death doesn't like to be cheated... Final Destination 6. Ahah jk but that's too bad, atleast you had the guts to apply

poppaof6 0

My friend, I served for six years, and I saw many people who were in the service who did everything they could do to get out. I truly applaud you for trying so hard to get in. Keep trying. There is no more honerable way to serve and protect your country and your family than to serve in the military!

disgrunt3led_ 2

hey man be thankful you didnt get in..now you never have to know what its like to loose your soul and be a slave..believe been there, done that