By blackedout - 06/10/2009 05:25 - Singapore

Today, I fainted on the sidewalk. When I woke up, I was still lying on the sidewalk, people were stepping over me and my purse was gone. FML
I agree, your life sucks 63 265
You deserved it 3 800

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This is the reason why I dislike major cities such as London, Paris and so on where people really could not care less about individuals.

mekeskidi_fml 0

This happens in any country except Singapore. You should go to the police, they recorded everything with street cams.

Comments

I live in Singapore.. and there's been many a time where I've witnessed someone fainting, or taking a nasty fall in public (and sometimes its me who has tripped over). Not once have I seen or had anyone ask if said person was okay, or helped them up, etc. I don't have anything against Singapore.. but I just know its very very common here. And while Singapore's a strict country with low crime.. there is still crime. You don't hear of a lot of murders, rapes, serious crimes.. but I have had experience with many petty thieves.

Asian cities aren't exactly known for being courteous. When I was in Hong Kong people would bump and push me without even saying "Excuse me" or "Sorry". People there are always in a hurry. Although I must admit when I returned to Manila I adopted that habit as a means of revenge upon annoying slow-walking people.

dude great wall of china, hell on earth - not really but people were so rude. Some people nearly pushed my brother down when he was climbing up, he's only 8.

In large cities in Vietnam, supposedly (all my information is based on my friend's trip there) there are no traffic rules, and no flow to traffic. People ride their motorcycles, etc. on the sidewalk. If you get in their way, they'll run you right over.

Completely the opposite in Singapore... they are absolute martinets about road rules.

50% of times I've stood in the halls and an Asian person wants me to move, they stand there waiting. I never budge and they'll give up and walk around instead of saying excuse me.

How about Italy? I remember waiting to get off a train in Milano, no room to move as there were still people in front of me. I got shoved by the person behind me... I turned to hit them (or at least look like I was going to)... turned out to be an old lady, so I left it. 2 minutes later the same thing happened, this time a younger guy. I glared at him, and he quailed... discussed with an italian friend afterwards, as once could be blamed on an obnoxious individual, twice seemed a deeper problem... they just said it was the italian way to shove.

Once the first person took your purse, you must have looked like a homeless hobo passed out after yet another night of drunken revelry. The nice townsfolk just decided to let you sleep it off, instead of waking you up and having you start panhandling again.

such a understanding person you are, plexi!

Zzzzz. What? Huh? Hey, palleas, you got dollar, man? You got any spare change at all, man? I need to get me some beer, er, I mean food. Can you help a brother out? Gobbless you. Now, palleas, don't you wish you had just quietly stepped over my comment instead of waking me up?

Right on, SOMAgirl, You never know when they are going to start ranting about The Mother Ship, or Nibiru and the Annunaki, or "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" The old saying "Let sleeping dogs lie" should be amended to include "bums soaked in their own bodily fluids."

This happened to me too when i had a seizure :( But sometimes in cities people are so genuinely scared of people they don't want to approach them in case they are some crazy druggo. And thieves, well, they are just bastards eh?

Naughtymiss 0

Well, you can't really blame people for ignoring incidents like that, especially in big cities. Criminals can use those methods as modus operandis, e.g., an accomplice takes your wallet from your bag while you try to help someone who dropped their books on the sidewalk. Though I expected more from Singapore.

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you. Done in by the "please not me" effect. XD I've seen this happening in the inner city district, as well, and got very weird looks when I went to help the person in question. Kinda explained it with the mentality here(Vienna, Austria), but I guess that's how people generally are...