By UnSupported - 14/08/2014 15:28 - United States - North Kingstown

Today, I excitedly told my family that, after years of studying and dedication, I've been awarded a full scholarship to Germany. My mom's reaction was to start sobbing about me becoming a "heathen" and my dad and brother started telling Nazi jokes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 049
You deserved it 3 913

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

FroggerForReal 11

I seriously don't get how your mom would think you'd become a heathen from attending school in Germany.

Seriously. OPs mom sounds like a bit of moron. Good job, OP; don't let your idiot family get you down. Go and enjoy your fully paid schooling and the fine country of Germany.

I don't even see why OP's mom is upset, Germany is a very intelligent country.

tony1891 22

at least you will get away from your parents

ulissey_fml 22

Well, better be prepared for when they meet the boyfriend you are likely to fall in love with over there. I'm sure he will be a Hit... . never mind them, though, you'll love it living abroad. and that may well broaden their minds too !

lilbillXD 16

Your parents should be happy for you.

trellz17 19

German is my minor! I've always wanted to go to there too. Viel glücklich!

trellz17 19

LOL, I was going to say, dosen't glücklich mean happy?

trellz17 19

Yeah I was rushing before anyone said something in German lol. But yes glücklich means happy

Germany is an awesome place with a cool language and cool people and great food. You're lucky to study there, and your parents shouldn't stand in your way.

hoopgrug 5

never been, but concur that German food rules (in moderation. I'd be 400 lbs if i lived there). studying abroad is the chance of a lifetime. enjoy every second OP.

Personally not a fan of the food but can't deny that their economy is doing great at the moment. I think it's definitely not a bad place to be.

We will welcome you with open arms. :) (And with arms, I mean weapons. Well, just kidding...)

RusticChick 27

Sprechen sie Deutsch, OP? Viel Glück! ;P

I don't know German, but I'm just going to guess that means,"do you know how to speak German op? Good luck." I'm planning on learning German sometime.

RusticChick 27

It says, "Do you speak German, OP? Good luck!" Not too shabby, sir. I know a little bit. Half my heritage. It's a fun, agry, unusual language to learn. I've always enjoyed it! Some things are tough to say though. Lol.

it depends... "sprechen Sie" is a very polite form (3rd singular). "sprichst du" is the casual way to go here...

79, don't know why you got down voted as you are just dropping some knowledge but I voted you back up :)

ZomBgal 12

Congrats on the opportunity, OP! Don't let their worries and bigotry ruin this chance for you, they should be proud of and happy for you. Good luck!