By Anonymous - 10/08/2013 04:41 - United States - Greeley

Today, I enlisted in the military. My dad now finds it necessary to act like a drill sergeant. This includes yelling at me everywhere we go to prepare me for basic training. Training begins in four months. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 741
You deserved it 6 882

Same thing different taste

Top comments

flashback.miss 28

He's just trying to get you used to it now. But, thank you for enlisting.

As a former Marine I feel compelled to say, hahaha.

Comments

Did you mean "tough love"? "Young love" is something very different...

If you can't deal with your dads training without nagging about it..I wonder how long you'll survive in the really military

That is not the point of this FML. Atleast he enlisted.

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure OP isn't nagging her dad about his training methods for one. Two, what is this "really military" you speak of? I suggest a dictionary and proof reading.

I thinks it's great that you're enlisting, I'm sure you'll do a great job!

I'M SORRY SON DOES THAT MAKE YOU UNCOMFORTABLE? YOU GONNA GO HOME AND CRY TO YOUR MOMMA!?!? MIGHT AS WELL CRY HERE CUZ I'M YOUR MOMMA NOW SON AND YOUR DADDY! IS THAT CLEAR SOLDIER!?!?

Yeah man, marines get free lube weekly, it gets lonely in an elite squad of dudes, and by elite i mean ppl that formally got taught basic common sense survival skills, its not gay if ur a marine !!!! ......

Thanks for enlisting OP. Im headed that way myself the day I turn 18.

please don't join. go to college and be a doctor or engineer or something. as a marine I'm saying this is no place for a woman

Yea, they can use it to hold their little make shift lean to together!

Suck it up and get used to it. What I honestly do not understand is the "thank you for joining" comments. There is nothing honorable about joining any army in the world. One thing history classes should have told everyone attending is that every single soldier is an easily replaceable tool the government is working with. And no one is working towards peace. It is like saying "Thank you for making the world a worse place."

Hiimhaileypotter 52

It's because it's an honor to defend one's country. You may not understand it, and that's OK. As Theodore Roosevelt said, we need a military to "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

Enjoy being burried arse hat. ***** like you need to get off your moral high horse and stop with your keyboard warrior antics and see how "peace" will only be achieved when no human is left alive. now go hug a ******* tree.

Wow. Where to begin. First of all, OP said they enlisted in the "military." The army isn't the only branch in the military and soldiers aren't the only enlisted members. There's also the Navy with sailors, the Marines with marines, the Air Force with airmen, the National Guard with more soldiers, and the Coast Guard with more sailors. So you assuming that OP is joining the Army as a soldier betrays your ignorance right there. Secondly, the military does a lot more than initiate wars as aggressors. It also defends its nation from attacking foreign militaries and terrorists. If any one country decided to disband its military, that country wouldn't remain an independent country for very long. Also, the military does a lot of humanitarian work, especially the National Guard. When Haiti was struck by disaster, you know who was among the first on the ground with food and medicine? The US military. And when New Orleans was four feet underwater, you know who was pulling people from the rubble and into boats and helicopters? The National Guard. So if you ever find yourself in a desperate, life threatening situation and the first to arrive to help is a soldier, I don't hope they leave you to die, but I do hope you remember what you said here and realize what a colossal ass you are. Third, no one in the military is dispensable, and not just anyone can do the work. The military isn't just a bunch of people with guns anymore. The national defense has become highly technical in the last century. There are hundreds of jobs in each branch, and many of them require a lot of skills and intelligence and the use of very technical equipment. Take my job, for example. I'm an aviation electrician. I had to learn how to read schematics, trouble shoot faults in over a dozen different systems on aircraft, and repair wires, which requires a considerable amount of dexterity. And my job is like trained monkey work compared to what other enlisted people do. The Navy has nuclear engineers to maintain the power systems on their submarines and ships, and the "Nuke School" those sailors have to attend is one of the most intense and elite schools in the US. In fact, every person who enlists in the US military has to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, or ASVAB in order to join. It's a test that measures a person's intelligence and education level in order to determine what job they qualify for, because there are jobs in the military that many people can't do because they're simply not smart enough. But even jobs that don't require a high ASVAB score aren't always jobs that simply anyone can do. It takes a special kind of person to volunteer to be an infantryman in the Army, and especially the Marines, particularly during war time, and that quality is probably even rarer than intelligence. That's why the military offers incentives for people to join and stay in, including free college tuition, raises, and enlistment and reenlistment bonuses. In conclusion, you are a coward hiding behind a computer screen, and enlisted people are awesome. Have a lovely day in your mom's basement.

59, awesome, the last sentence of your completely justifiable comment made my year.

cynical78 15

Glad I brought some joy to your year. :)

Zimmington 21

59- I don't think they ment Army as in the U.S. Army. I think they ment Army as a general term. Using it the same as Military. BTW were you in New Orleans after the hurricane hit? Because true they saved plenty of people I won't take that from them. They killed plenty of innocence looting for food and water also. Or just trying to survive doing what they had to still gunned down in the street by their own military. And I'm not talking about the criminals that deserved it. Ofcourse that wasn't the National Guard. They leave the murdering of innocence to the other factions right?

71, If you can give me one verifiable incident in New Orleans of a military member shooting a civilian in the street without trial that wasn't followed by that military member being formally punished by the military, then I will concede your point.

And to clarify, I mean an incident in which the civilian did not present an immediate threat to public safety.

Zimmington 21

I didn't say they weren't punished for it. But does a dishonorable discharge bring that person back to life? My point was not everything they did was so good as you make it seem.

Zimmington 21

And as a matter of fact there were some National Guard soldiers armed with M16's under orders to shoot and kill "looters" bet they were never charged. Google it if you need proof.

To be honest, if there were no armies and weapons around the world they would need no defending from one another therefore resulting in peace. The only people that get any good satisfaction from war is the weapons manufacturers.

Zimmington, there will always be those who disobey military law. Some are low ranking individuals who act independently, and others are high ranking individuals who commit their crimes by issuing orders to those who are subordinate to them. But those who act out violently in a humanitarian mission and in a situation in which violence is uncalled for do not reflect upon the majority of those who behave according to the goal of the mission. If what you are saying is true, and some people were not criminally charged, it is either because the violence was justified in some way, such as "looters" actually being rapists and murderers taking advantage of chaos, or because they were acting on orders from a superior and their superior is the one who bore responsibility. There are also military members who work for governments that are overtly tyrannical, and so commit acts of evil on orders from their government. But to say that because SOME military members do bad things, or because SOME nations use their military for evil ends, does not diminish those who serve honorably merely to defend their country. 96, That's a very naive position. That's like saying if men didn't have penises women wouldn't have to worry about getting raped. The fact of the world is that weapons and militaries do exist, and so even nations that do not wish to be involved in war must prepare for the possibility that war will be forced upon them. For example, if the US decided to disband its miliary and destroy all its weapons, Russia, China, North Korea, Iran, and who knows how many other countries in the middle east would invade the US so fast by the next morning it would likely be home to about a dozen foreign nations struggling to gain control of both coasts. And even if every nation simultaneously decided to disband its military and destroy all its weapons that still wouldn't bring about world peace. Just because there would no longer be government organized militaries, does not mean there would no longer be violent groups. Ever heard of a little club called "Al Qaeda?" Not to mention the other hundreds of terrorist groups around the world. Just about anything can be used as a weapon--a baseball bat, a pair of scissors, a piece of glass, a wrench--and household supplies can be used to make a bomb. Can you imagine the destruction that terrorists would wreak if there were no trained people with weapons to stand in their way? Think about it.

^Above this comment are people in the Army massively butthurt that people are saying the Army isn't all that great and causes more harm than good(which is true) keep it up.

103, not hurt at all, just gob smacked that people who are so anti military forget that despite many cons that go against it actually assist in helping towards a more positive outcome from the 3rd Riche to Saddam, gadaffi, farah adide and many others to name but a few. Please stop trying to throw flowers and peace signs at bullets and nukes, lets see how missed all militaries are if they just step down and let the barbarians run rampant over the lands once again.

Honestly, I'm not "butt-hurt" at all, as you so eloquently put it. I'm glad you are stating your opinion on the state of this country and the government. That's what I enlisted to protect, the freedom for you to express your opinion in a public forum. That being said, if you are breaking the law when under martial law, because you want something for free and are taking advantage of a bad situation, your freedom card is revoked. Looting is a crim., Getting food and water during a crisis, by peaceful means, is not. I was here for Katrina, I saw first hand the nonsense that went on in NOLA, and I'll be damned if you will slander the good men and women of our Armed Forces by saying that they shot innocent law abiding citizens...I call total bullshit.

Zimmington 21

109- Okay, when there is no more available resources for food and water what were we supposed to do? Wait and starve until more came? No you do something about it! It's not like the stores were open anyway so we could buy it. My dad and I siphoned gas from abandoned cars to get out of there. I suppose you would've shot us too? What if it was your family? Would you say their murders were justified because what they were doing wasn't completely legal!? I'll be damned if you call people surviving as best they can in a disaster situation criminals who deserved to be shot on site!

Zimmington 21

I never said all Armies were bad. I just didn't agree with you reffering to Katrina like everything the National Guard did there was good. I don't agree with armies are the government pawns that serve in them though I know they are necessary in these times. Because everytime a new lunatic acquires power America is the first place they aim for and you can't fight guns with flowers like the above said. Even though most the "terrorist" attacks are staged or dramatized to line the pockets/fuel the agendas of the Power hungry people who run our country.