By alyssaamarante - 13/06/2015 02:41 - United States - East Northport

Today, I decided to go thrifting to save some money. Ironically, I ended up having to pay for an emergency trip to the hospital because somebody was too lazy to wash the cat hair off their clothes. I'm severely allergic to cats. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 347
You deserved it 8 949

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You don't bathe thrift store clothes in hydrochloric acid before you wear them?! Or am I the only one who's that afraid of other people's germs?

lolhailsatan 23

As a former secondhand shop worker, I will say that no, the store does not wash the clothes before they are sent out, big industrial size washers are mad expensive to buy and operate. However, if something has cat hair on it, we would lint roll the garment, or if it was completely covered, we would toss it. But anyway, i think it's common sense to wash the clothes before putting them on your body, so I'm saying YDI

Comments

YDI for not washing before wearing, but FYL for actually having to PAY for a trip to hospital! What kind of people actually charge someone for that?

hberri331 18

Countries that don't have socialized medicine duh?!

Approximately two thirds of the countries in the world don't have socialized medicine/universal health care. So most countries in the world are the kind of people who'd make you pay for a trip to the hospital.

They shouldn't make anyone pay for medicine or anything hospital related. They can't help when they get sick.

Canada started charging for ambulance rides even though we have free health care. It seems unfair to me and I don't think it's right for someone to possibly put of an ambulance ride because they're worried about the cost. I'm pretty sure it's something like $60-$80 too, which is a lot!

Actually Canada's "free" health care isn't actually free. The truth of the matter is that Canadians actually pay a substantial amount for health care through their taxes. But no one really knows how much. And that is the key to the illusion. Instead of using a dedicated health insurance tax that earmarks tax money for the specific purpose of funding health care, the government funds it through general tax revenue -- taking a few dollars from here and there so that it's impossible for families to add up the number for themselves.

lolhailsatan 23

As a former secondhand shop worker, I will say that no, the store does not wash the clothes before they are sent out, big industrial size washers are mad expensive to buy and operate. However, if something has cat hair on it, we would lint roll the garment, or if it was completely covered, we would toss it. But anyway, i think it's common sense to wash the clothes before putting them on your body, so I'm saying YDI

Actually no, they're not allowed to wash or clean anything. If something comes in really dirty it's thrown out.

Typically thrift stores only use a delouser on their clothes to keep off/kill any lice or other parasites the previous owners may have had. Sorry op, but YDI for not washing your clothes before you wear them Besides cat owners know that simply washing your clothes doesn't always get rid of cat hair. That shit sticks to everything

"Sorry op, but YDI for not washing your clothes before you wear them " Where in the FML does it actually say that the OP purchased and wore anything? It doesn't. It just says the OP had a reaction to some cat hair on an outfit. That means that the OP could have been trying it on to see if it fit, a thing people generally do before purchase and as such are generally not allowed to wash the clothes beforehand for. The OP also could have just picked the outfit up to consider purchasing it and had a reaction to the fur on it.

Thrift stores do not wash/clean anything they receive. Your supposed to clean it when you buy it or before you donate it.

The two in my town wash everything they receive. It gets sent to someplace with industrial washers to be cleaned and sorted.

Lucky, none of the four in my town wash/clean anything.

We can't afford to do it at mine. We ask customers to wash before bringing in.

Totally your fault. you were to lazy to wash thrift store clothes before you wore them, knowing you have allergies.

Umm... The FML doesn't actually say or imply that the OP purchased and wore unwashed clothes. It essentially says that while out thrift shopping the OP came in contact with unwashed merchandise on the thrift store shelves and had an allergic reaction that sent her to the ER.

Seriously? This is the 5th comment in a row stating the exact same thing. Doesn't anyone read the comments before theirs to see if there's no point to writing a comment everyone else has made? :/ Plus, as the person before me mentioned, and the people responding to the 5 comments before it with the same statement; there's a very good chance op didn't buy the clothes but merely touched it in the store. That really sucks that you had to go to the ER op. I can't imagine how scary it would be to not be able to breathe! Glad you're ok and I really hope you stay away from thrift stores seeing as there's probably a lot of cat hair in them.

Seriously? This is the 5th comment in a row stating the exact same thing. Doesn't anyone read the comments before theirs to see if there's no point to writing a comment everyone else has made? :/ Plus, as the person before me mentioned, and the people responding to the 5 comments before it with the same statement; there's a very good chance op didn't buy the clothes but merely touched it in the store. That really sucks that you had to go to the ER op. I can't imagine how scary it would be to not be able to breathe! Glad you're ok and I really hope you stay away from thrift stores seeing as there's probably a lot of cat hair in them.

amberv61 22

I'm not sure about anyone else but I took it as op got the reaction in the store. If she is severally allergic wouldn't just touching or being anywhere near the clothes cause the reaction? I know people with severe cat allergies and it only takes a couple of minutes for them to react

I can't imagine how awful having an allergy that bad must be. If something like that affects you you must have to make trips to the hospital quite frequently.

People I can express this enough! If you have severe allergies you should be taking steps for your safety and not blaming others. If you had a severe allergic to cats you should not be shopping at a thrift store, pre-used clothes store, or garage sale. If you really want to be thrifty you can try calling ahead and asking them if they clean clothes (which most times no), but for your health avoid clothes that are not new. FYI yes I do have a bad allergy, actually two.

But if it's all she can afford what's supposed to do, go naked?

Big department stores have a clearance section. Sometimes clothes can have a huge discount just so the store can get rid of them.

Sxylilhalfpint 20

ready for the bad pun....!!!? What a CATastrophe. lol. couldn't help myself.

You're a bit late. That's already been posted.

Sxylilhalfpint 20

well 2 times the charm. plus his wasn't as awesome as mine. he worded it differently.