By Alanis - 21/07/2012 01:59 - United States

Today, I confessed to my co-worker that I've secretly loved him for months. He laughed hysterically for about a minute straight before shaking his head and excusing himself from the store. Even the fact that my boss fired him for leaving early isn't cheering me up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 456
You deserved it 4 042

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Laughing on his part was wrong. But really, why are people confessing love to coworkers especially if they are unsure if the feelings are mutual. It puts both of you in a real awkward position. IMO, telling someone you like them or asking them on a casual date is way more appropriate then confessing love. That comes off real intense and many people don't know how to react.

keep your head up! He obviously wasn't for you!

Comments

Let it cheer you up, life is all about the cool small things that you ignore for worrying about big things.

Maybe he's gay and has a thing with your boss? haha

Well good thing you realized he was a dick before wasting your time getting involved with him

unknown_user5566 26

I don't necessarily think he's a dick. I'm assuming he and OP have never been on a date before, and so the fact that she randomly professed her love for him AT WORK may have caused a fit of nervous laughter on his part.

CCDNRGD81411 3

True but he acted in a dick manner. He should grow up instead of reacting how he did. Your smart enough to see that

unknown_user5566 26

74- I do agree with you that adults should be more cognizant of how they react to certain situations; however, there is a difference between someone truly being a dick, versus acting like one in an uncomfortable situation.

#74, for all you know, OP and her beloved are young teens in their first job. It's not really fair telling him to grow up; these things are how we grow up. I am an adult and I would feel massively uncomfortable in his situation and might vent some nervous laughter while fumbling desperately for a way to lighten the situation. OP put herself in a ridiculous position by doing this on the clock. He can't shout "I love you, too" and kiss her, they can't have a long heart to heart, they can really just work together. His nervous laughter gave way to hysteria and he removed himself from the situation. There are very few ways he could've come out of this with OP happy.

lelo007 11

Throwing our a casual invite to the movies or dinner would have been a better way to go. If somebody just "confessed" their feelings for me at work, I wouldn't laugh at him, but I'm still not sure how I'd respond. I'd feel a bit awkward, especially if my feelings weren't the same for him.

lelo007 11

Sorry for the double postings! My app told me that my original comment didn't get posted. After I posted a second, more thoughtful one, the original showed up. Weird...

I agree with you. Its hard to respond to a surprise with such strong emotions. Still it was not a very nice way for him to react

lelo007 11

No, not at all. Some people just don't have respect for others, and obviously forgot their tact in their mother's womb.

No one wants to hear what you have to say shut the **** up

lelo007 11

Oh look, guys!!! I found a troll under the FML bridge!

Personally I think you shouldn't waste your time with relationships or feelings for other people as they inevitably end in heartbreak, but that's just me, and I guess I'm weird.

DON'T RUN AWAY FROM YOUR FEELINGS!!!!

unknown_user5566 26

I'm guessing you've been hurt in the past, or seen familial relationships get ruined, and that is what causes you to feel that way. While I won't judge you for your life decisions, I would wholeheartedly encourage you to keep your mind open to new experiences, relationships, and love. Love really is quite wonderful once you have found the right person. :)

See If this was the other way around , it would be called sexual harassment and the girl ditching work would " a perfectly viable excuse " as she was scared for her life. :) girls, you know it's true

dominic1221 6

Doubt it, that's just your mommy issues talking. Who outright fires employees for walking out on one occasion anyway? A hardass who'll do it to any gender or someone who's taken enough shit from the person already.

Jesus since when did fml have a stick up it's ass? Lighten the **** up please.

I think it's more a matter of the perspective we hear than the genders involved. For example, if the guy in this FML had posted instead something like this: "Today my coworker confessed to me out of the blue that she's been in love with me for months. I was so creeped out and stunned that I impulsively laughed and left. My boss fired me for leaving early. FML." My guess is he would receive a lot of sympathetic comments. Really, it's obnoxious how some men on this site always try to turn anything that involves a man and a woman into some kind of referendum on feminism. It must take a pretty sexist person to not even let a girl complain about her broken heart without claiming reverse sexism.

This is the internet , where sarcasm flows like water . My comments are rarely serious. All in good fun :) that being said I do agree with your point though .

trippythehippy 6

I got to tell ya. I like jesters train of thought here. To reiterate.... Someone explain to me why A man talks dirty to a woman = sexual harassment. A women talks dirty to a man = $4.99 a minute. Keep in mind woman are just as randy as men...

Mikeskinner 7
unknown_user5566 26

Dating in the work place is tricky. If you're going to attempt it, confessing your love AT work is probably not the best idea. That just sets you up for loads of embarassment.

that's whys there's the saying "you don't shit where you eat"

yumyumpoptart 16

better finding out then never knowing!

unknown_user5566 26

Wait a second... is your coworker the guy who left work early, went to the pub, and then proceeded to puke up his nacho & milkshake mixture in his kitchen? ;)

unknown_user5566 26

Possibly! I didn't go back and check, to be honest. I just realized the similarity in the two FMLs and wanted to throw the joke out there. :)